sdparkes66

New (to me) clubs

So I got myself a set of Benross Gold Speed (Senior Flex) Irons when I started playing in 2016, bought without advice and for what I thought was a good price (£139, 5-SW)..

Well, I've really been enjoying playing with them, but have never felt 100% confident.

2 days ago a friend of mine has had to hang up his bag due to ill health and gave me his old clubs, a set of Callaway x-18's ..   So, I literally picked one at random, and very weirdly felt confident with the club, so I went to the range with them, and fired a basket of balls, each swing feeling better and better. I cannot believe how different they feel, how much more confident I feel using them, and more importantly, how much more consistency there was with my shots, possibly a placebo effect, not sure, I just know I will be able to do wonders with them. Am not being delusional, I know that I am still going to have plenty of duff shots, but I believe I will have less duff, and more balls going where I want them to..  ( was also a lot straighter with the shots)...

Is it normal that there can be such a difference between clubs and the fact that the feeling of confidence does aid in improving the shots (makes sense that it could)...

Any thoughts ?

• Like 1

Haha, 

I dont know what shafts the X18's have but I would only assume that moving away from a senior flex shaft would make a difference - but that is hard to judge without know how fast you are swinging the golf club. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Holbrook said:

Haha, 

I dont know what shafts the X18's have but I would only assume that moving away from a senior flex shaft would make a difference - but that is hard to judge without know how fast you are swinging the golf club. 

I really need to go onto one of these funky machines and find out I guess, wonder if AG will let me do that..  As long as they let me warm up :)

Watching what speed you develop. The flexible shaft also has its advantages, you must understand what type of players you are to choose the right club. Professional golfers and can play with such stable clubs, yet it will be difficult for them to perform lateral twisted strokes of the draw and fade. At the same time, it will be extremely difficult for an inexperienced golfer to play with a club intended for a professional. In this article https://golfwithasmile.com/clubs/best-golf-clubs-for-seniors/ you can see how to choose a golf club that suits you.

I am a firm believer that having not only a set of decent clubs, but fitted to you can make all the difference in golf, I started playing with a set of Hippo's and my mates used to give me stick over how long a round would take, I got fitted for a set of Taylor Made Burner Bubbles and went from never hitting a golf ball in my life to an 11hc within a year, I used to give them one shot per hole and still beat them, they did not think it was so funny then.

Having not played for 16 years I have just been fitted for a set of Taylor Made M6 irons and woods to get me back into golf and am looking forward to getting my handicap back down to where it was if not better.

So yes, decent clubs inspire confidence.