Mavisto

Can you afford to play anywhere other than your home course?

As the title suggests, "Can you afford to play anywhere other than your home course?"

I've recently started playing golf again after quite a long break and I'm totally horrified at how much it is to play some golf courses.

I hail from St Helens in Lancashire, so access to some of the great Merseyside and Lancashire links courses was relatively easy.  It may be quite a long time ago, but I've managed to play Birkdale, Hillside, Formby, Southport and Ainsdale, Southport Links and I never thought the price of 18 holes was beyond my pocket. 

However, I look at the price of some of the green fees and think I'M NOT PAYING THAT MUCH.  I'd happily pay £50 or £60 to play on one of the special courses out there, but £160 for the Belfy, £175 for St Andrews.  Another case of we'll charge what we can get away with not what the actual values is.

Supply and demand and greed!! 

I've managed to do a mini tour playing lots of local opens and its been great value anything from £15 to £30 that's my limited I did ask at my last outing how much a round was £50 wow I'd paid £20 and yes its a great course but personally £50 I'd have left unhappy.  

I guess we all have a limited and value again I'm not fussed about spending lots but I like quality and that wow factor, the belfry has never given me that even at £25 for a winter brab visit. 

Gone are the days you could get 36 holes at woburn and a meal for £50 :-) 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mavisto said:

As the title suggests, "Can you afford to play anywhere other than your home course?"

I've recently started playing golf again after quite a long break and I'm totally horrified at how much it is to play some golf courses.

I hail from St Helens in Lancashire, so access to some of the great Merseyside and Lancashire links courses was relatively easy.  It may be quite a long time ago, but I've managed to play Birkdale, Hillside, Formby, Southport and Ainsdale, Southport Links and I never thought the price of 18 holes was beyond my pocket. 

However, I look at the price of some of the green fees and think I'M NOT PAYING THAT MUCH.  I'd happily pay £50 or £60 to play on one of the special courses out there, but £160 for the Belfy, £175 for St Andrews.  Another case of we'll charge what we can get away with not what the actual values is.

I have played a few of the over £100 [at discount] and there is only one that I would have been happy to pay full price - The Castle at St Andrews

All the others have left me with expecting more for my hard earned cash.

I would not even think about Kingsbarns at £240.

• Like 1

I'm confused by the original poster's reluctance to pay the prices for rounds of golf at the Belfry and St Andrews but mentions he'd paid for Birkdale which is now over £200 per round, Hillside at £135 per round, Formby at £140 and these are midweek rates.  I'm never keen to pay more than £100 for a round of golf and try to find an open competition at a club I want to play.

4 minutes ago, BubbaBatch said:

I'm confused by the original poster's reluctance to pay the prices for rounds of golf at the Belfry and St Andrews but mentions he'd paid for Birkdale which is now over £200 per round, Hillside at £135 per round, Formby at £140 and these are midweek rates.  I'm never keen to pay more than £100 for a round of golf and try to find an open competition at a club I want to play.

As I said, it was a long time ago (late 1980's) but I paid £35 to play morning and afternoon including lunch at Birkdale.  An average municipal course would have been about £7 or £8 per round so maybe £11 to £14 per day.  That made it about 3 to 4 times more expensive to play Birkdale than my local muni.  I've just checked and the courses I would have normally have played (Sherdley Park, Beacon Park, Bootle, Kirkby, Bowring Park) range between £11.50 and £15 per round.  Given the prices you have quoted above that is between 12 to 17 times the price of what my old courses are charging.

To me this is extortionate.  Even at £20 to £25 per round (which seems about average for a  non municipal course) we are looking at 6 to 10 times the price.  No wonder the number of people playing is down.