RussMidd

Do golf clubs really want members?

Due to being unemployed this time last year I had to let my membership lapse.

Now, I'm ready to get back to playing some golf.

My job means that I have to work every other weekend, and I work nights.

I went to my old club to see what membership options they had.

These are the three options they had for me.

1) Seven day member (£1155 per year)

2) Five day member (£836 per year)

3) Freedom play (£245 fee and the option of buying points)

I tried to work out how many rounds of golf I would be able to play during the year.

My best estimation was eight three rounds.

So, the seven day option would be no good to me.  I only have every other weekend to play and would never be able to play straight from work.

The five day option is just as bad for me.  I would never play for six months of the year as it would be dark when I wanted to play.

This left the freedom play.  Having looked at the cost of the points it wouldn't be value for money for me.  And, I cannot understand what I get for the £245!

Now, seeing as most golf clubs as short of members, I would have thought they would have been bending over backwards to get new members in.

There must be loads of people out there who would like to join a golf clubs for the summer months, but it appears the golf clubs don't want these people.

I'm now looking at what other golf clubs local to me are offering.

Russ

• Like 2

I also work nights but my weekend is my family time. I tend to play every other Monday with work colleagues but as we all travel from all over we use different couses each week. We used the 2 fore 1 vouchers until they stopped them last month.

I don't feel there is enough incentive for clubs to cater for the casual golfer. I know some are starting to use the points per play system but its not always financially beneficial to the player.

It is definitely a regional thing. Here on the Yorkshire coast membership is around £650-£750 pa but deals can be got. Filey offer 18 months for £759. Clubs are not struggling but they are wary of their financial state.

A six month deal sounds great for the member, but not so much for the club ... to allow a player to only use the course for the summer months would be detrimental to the club, unless they weight the deal to be 3/4 of the full membership, and then the member would not consider it to be such a good deal.

a club needs cash/income for the full year and needs to be able to know that it has this money available to enable them to continue maintenance throughout the year.  They would have to make this deal available to all members and if too many decided to take up the deal they would be in huge financial difficulty. 

• Like 1

A Full Membership Fee should equal 20 to 25 rounds of golf at the normal GF. That is less than once a week for the six summer months.

I look at it this way:- Play on average once a week for half the year. Play a couple of evenings a week during the summer, be that 3, 6 12 or 18 holes. Use the practice facilities as often as I like and then have days away with whatever deals are on (Reciprocal's & 1906 or James Braid Clubs). That would cost me more than twice the Membership Fee.

26 minutes ago, TheLyth said:

(Reciprocal's & 1906 or James Braid Clubs). 

Just to give an idea.

If you join a Club that is part of the 1906 Club, you get courtesy on courses like Fulford and Crans-sur-Sierre.

James Braid associated Clubs give discounted GF's so Blairgowrie would drop from £70 to £40, Boyce Hill from £45 to £25 and The Monmouthshire from £48 to £23.

So it can be a good idea to see what associations a Club has before you join.

• Like 1

Nuneaton is a 1906 club and it's excellent you get one round a year at other's 1906 clubs outside the 50 mile radius, Stanton on the wolds was a nice course on the list. 

I'm led to believe #TheLyth that crans was for the anniversary year only? if not damn I missed out. 

Russ PlayMoreGolf might be an option, 80pts home 20 pts away. If I play after 1pm it's 4pts @ £3 a point not bad value, you can also keep your handicap and play comps etc be it weekends or in the week.

A year ago I took out a modest membership of £32 a month and pay a small green fee. Suited me because I work 6 on 4 off. Renewal came in the next year and its doubled! Turns out the 7 day membership took it as a way of saving £800 a year. Meanwhile, I can't afford any other membership so had to leave. Left a really bitter taste in the mouth! 

There must be thousands of golfers out there who would love to join a golf club during the summer months.

Golf clubs are crying out for new members, but are totally ignoring these golfers.

I fully understand that the clubs need the income in order to survive, but they are missing out on income!

But, they cannot expect a person who cannot, or will not play during the winter months to pay a full year's membership fee!

When I was a member of a golf club I played all year round, making the seven day membership fee value for money.

Now that I cannot play during the winter months due to work, the value for money membership fee has gone out of the window.

I will have a look at the playmoregolf system, but it does appear to be very similar to the open play membership option at my old golf club.

I will call a few more golf clubs near to me and see what their options are.

Risebridge golf center have a membership fee of £100 for the year, which means I can play in competitions.

The green fees will still need to be paid, but it looks like an option for me.

My other option is to use the two for one green fees, and play a few more clubs around my area.

At, least I can watch the Masters while having a think about things.

Russ

My club is actively recruiting  new members with 3/2 which is full fees year 1 half price for the next 2 plus many other options restricted rounds etc and flexible payment  options. Dinsdale Spa golf club 

Ricey155 - The £100 a year is to join the membership section at a local course.  The organise all the competitions at the golf club.

This means I can continue to play competitions, which I do enjoy.

Being as it is an old council course, the yearly membership is totally separate to the membership section.

At my previous golf club, I did enjoy the medals and especially playing for the golf club against other clubs.

Playmoregolf are at Maylands GC, which is very near to me and not a bad golf club/course.  Again, I will have to look at how many times I think I will play to see if it's worth the money.

Russ

• Like 1

What percentage would you think a Summer package should cost against Full Membership?

Would it then be fair to give them equal privileges as a full paying member, voting etc. 

Municipal Golf did have the answer and still does in many parts of the country. Join the attached Club as a member for £75 to £150 for the year and then buy a Summer Season Ticket.

Good question TheLyth 

I left Nuneaton this year due to not getting in the winter league, and Oct - march you cannot play Sundays yet they expect me to pay full fees ! When at best it's closed more than open Jan Feb 

I'd be happy paying slightly more pro rata than standard for a 9 month option, pmg works for me so far, if i can get a spot in the comps at my home course Ullesthorpe as they have extra days to book in. 

Yes golf clubs do want members, but they need full time long standing members. Why, running a golf club has to be done financially and is worked out from the previous seasons funds. Because it has greenkeepers to pay it will have a steward cook cleaners maybe even a full time Manager/Secretary, all need to be paid. Also council tax utility bills insurance, plus the upkeep of the clubhouse. You've got your jobs how about all these other people who work at golf clubs. So stop moaning and think about others who work in these club's that you only want to be part time member's at. These clubs need all of these members of staff so that you can have your weekly round.

Peter H

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Peter Haworth said:

Yes golf clubs do want members, but they need full time long standing members. Why, running a golf club has to be done financially and is worked out from the previous seasons funds. Because it has greenkeepers to pay it will have a steward cook cleaners maybe even a full time Manager/Secretary, all need to be paid. Also council tax utility bills insurance, plus the upkeep of the clubhouse. You've got your jobs how about all these other people who work at golf clubs. So stop moaning and think about others who work in these club's that you only want to be part time member's at. These clubs need all of these members of staff so that you can have your weekly round.

Peter H

Different outlook :-) and 99% agree they still need to do more in my view ! And sadly in life nobody gets a free ride, nobody pays my wages for offering something they don't need or it doesn't fit. It's a bit like a gym membership. 

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 20:49, Peter Haworth said:

Peter H

Then some of those members a Club does have questions the wages shown on the Balance Sheets. If they want the Pro Shop open and lessons available all of the time, that's two wages. If they want food available all the day, that's two or even three wages. If they want the Bar open that's another two wages at least. They want a well presented course, that's another four wages.  So that is over £150,000 pa on minimum wage. Or £250 pa for each Member if they had 600 members.

• Like 1