Golfshake Editor

The Deeper Questions Behind Rory's Long Drives

If you watched the Arnold Palmer Invitational on Sunday, you would have seen Rory McIlroy hitting some incredibly long tee shots, reducing Bay Hill to a drive and pitch course at times. Despite what the R&A and USGA have stated, this is something that is becoming more commonplace, with courses continually being stretched beyond their limits. It's making the game more one-dimensional, and harder for a talent like Rory to distinguish himself, as technology has made it easier for more players to hit the ball extraordinary distances. 

What do you think? I've put my thoughts into a larger article, but do you even see it as a problem, or has the game been outpaced by the clubs and balls available today?

The R&A, the US PGA and the USGA have been slow and gutless in controlling the sport, mainly with respect to the ball, but also possibly with respect to Drivers.

It is understandable in the case of the US PGA and the USGA because the USA is a predominately capitalist system, where business and wealth get their way.  Am I the only person ever to have heard the regular rumours that if the US and UK authorities try to "shorten" the range of balls they will both face long, painful and expensive legal action?

Every now and then you hear an old ex-Pro golfer, usually USA, reminiscing about the days when the ball would float in water...

The big problem and the main problem too is that we see the pro's play and we too, play by the same Rules. So even though Rory can smash it nearly 400yds the same technology means that Joe Public can reach the 250yd markers. If the Tour guys played the same courses we do and in the same conditions they would be complaining all the time.

On 23/07/2017 at 13:57, TheLyth said:

The big problem and the main problem too is that we see the pro's play and we too, play by the same Rules. So even though Rory can smash it nearly 400yds the same technology means that Joe Public can reach the 250yd markers. If the Tour guys played the same courses we do and in the same conditions they would be complaining all the time.

Interesting point; when I watch the Long Drive championships they hit between 350 and 400. Not much father than Rory.  Or have I got that wrong?

Again, interesting point about conditions. Density altitude does make a big difference to distances. I remember watching a US play-off years ago on TV featuring Westwood. They did the last hole more than once, I seem to remember.  It was getting late and the temperature had dropped over 10 degrees Celsius since his final round, and on the play-off hole he under-hit all his irons. He and his caddie had clearly not taken into account the denser air caused by the cooler conditions (P V and T, technically speaking).

Incidentally, if a Pro V1 was the same price as my e6 (internet £15-£17 a dozen),  I'd use a Pro V1, but "it ain't ever goin' to be", Dudes.  When I find a lost one close to new I use a Pro V1, and love it, but loose to many to afford to buy.

Personally, I'd love to see the Pro's all using the same ball within the same tournament 4/5 days, to further equalize performance. The Tour could change the ball supplier in sequence from one week to another; might make for interesting viewing and results... especially if they used second level balls as well as top-of-the-range.  After all there are lots of tournaments, but not that many really different ball manufacturers. How funny it would be to watch the top Pros using a Wilson Ultra brick.