Matt Holbrook

Flag on the green!!

Just thought Id share an incident that happened to me a few weeks ago whilst playing in a monthly medal.

To set the story, I had played really solid golf the whole round, no mistakes, holes a few putts ect. I was playing in a 3 ball and we reached the 18th.....

I found the fairway and then on the green in 2 (Par 4, uphill, 340 odd yards) - I had left myself a tricky down hill right to left putt. My playing partner asked if I wanted the pin out, which I normally always do anyway. He took the flag out and lay it on the green about 15ft behind the hole. As it was such a break on the putt it wasn't in my line of sight and I focused on the putt I was facing.

I hit the put, it took the break and rolled over the hole, then to my horror carried on down the green where it hit the flag laying on the green. I understand this was a 2 shot penalty to me as I should have asked for the flag to have been moved, even though the thought didn't even cross my mind and was in line of sight and didn't think it had any chance of hitting the pin. I then missed the putt back up as a bit of frustration set in I proceeded to take 2 more putts from there so a 4 putt with a 2 shot penalty leaving me with an 8 up the last.

I still shot exactly to handicap but lot the comp on countback!

Always put the flag off the green from now on!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AAA said:

You or playing partner could have run over and moved it.

If you moved the flag after the ball had already been played then you'd still get the penalty.

.... at least that's I thought the rule was, but can't seem to find the ruling (have things changed, or am I confusing it with another ruling?)

37 minutes ago, Brian T said:

Found it ... it was changed to be allowed in the 2008 rules changes

Didn't this decision also get included at the same time?

17-1/5

Holding Flagstick with One Hand and Putting with Other Hand

Q.A player holds the flagstick with one hand and holes a short putt, gripping the putter with his other hand. Is this permissible?

A.Yes, provided the flagstick has been removed from the hole and the ball therefore does not strike it. If the ball were to strike the flagstick, a breach of Rule 17-3a would occur

On 9/16/2016 at 11:39, TheLyth said:

Didn't this decision also get included at the same time?

17-1/5

Holding Flagstick with One Hand and Putting with Other Hand

Q.A player holds the flagstick with one hand and holes a short putt, gripping the putter with his other hand. Is this permissible?

A.Yes, provided the flagstick has been removed from the hole and the ball therefore does not strike it. If the ball were to strike the flagstick, a breach of Rule 17-3a would occur

No. That's been around since the last century

Bit late now but always be aware that the ball may roll to the flag if left behind the hole on the same line. or the line the ball may take.

I personally like the flag out of sight. I have had on occasions another player has left the flag on the line and ive been aware so i have underhit it a tad just because its been in my mind, CAC