Just a quick one.

Had a free lesson the other day as a Guinea pig student at a PGA exam practical on a driving range.

To help with my slice (it's not that bad really), the candidate made me put the ball further back than usual. Actually 1 to 2 inches right of centre, depending on the club, from an eye position, as I perceived it.  Apparently, because we are supposed to put the head behind the hands (irons) with the hands inside the left thigh (right handed), it creates a " optical illusion" that the ball is further back than it really is. So often its too far forward, which doesn't work and encourages a slice.  Also, if your going to have an error it's better to have the ball too far back at the address than too far forward. First time I'd ever heard of this "optical illusion".  Furthermore, because the clubhead is now further back it will open, so one has to close it to make it look "square" at the address, which further helps to reduce slicing... and you are "hitting down" more on the ball.

During and since this dummy lesson my slice occurs much less often, I now tend to take more of a divot, and my ball flight is flatter and further and dropping, and closer to my unskillfull amateur iron distance pocket chart.

I stuck at it though, because it feels strange for a long, long time.  I only recommend this if anyone has a [email protected]@e recurring slice.  Doesn't help with the driver.

If the ball looks like it's in the middle it probably isn't, so he said.  

• Like 2

i agree with this as my big fade has almost gone when i hit driver. the ball position is more central so while its got a lower flight it runs out more and i now hit a slight draw. its the same with my long irons in that the 3,4 and 5 are almost in the centre of my stance.

the only problem is that i sometimes get ahead of myself and the draw can turn into a hook 

Agreed on this !!

I video myself a lot and at my last club we had range Matt's and I marked my positions out. Every time I practised then played I had the perfect driver setup and since I left it feels weird again, I guess alignment sticks are a must to groove your position more than ever.

My videos always look like I'm helping it up even tho I'm not, so these days I've pushed my hands forward to help with knuckles down feeling and the divot an inch in front.

Ball striking is loads better

• Like 1