OwenDavies

What do you think of Rory's comments?

You may or may not have seen Rory talking with the media yesterday. I was shocked to hear him comment on how it was not his responsibility to "grow the game" and to lesser extent his comments on the Olympics. 

I think Derek Clements sums it up well here:

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/10082/McIlroy_fails_to_grasp_his_position_in_golf.html

Do you think this was out of character or is Rory not quite the role model I thought he was? 

I have to agree with Rory to some extent, after all he is a Golf Pro.  You just have look at what happened to Tony Jacklin, and others. His public appearances etc. took over from his golf and he didn't reach the heights he should have. Rory loves playing and wants to win, when that fire in his belly goes then he may become more involved in trying to grow the game.

I agree with Rory, but for a different reason. Golf in the Olympics is a waste of time, it won't "grow the game"; it's just a grab for esteem and publicity by the IOC, and a transparent attempt to make money by the IOC on the back of a rich sport.

If golf is so important to the IOC why have they waited this long to include it?  It's been played since the early 15th century.

Here comes the really controversial bit:  The IOC and the IAAF need a good sorting out like FIFA.

Many Committees are the same. A person gets voted onto one and straight away thinks "What legacy can I leave behind" rather than "What can WE improve".

Interesting, I think those players who have missed the Olympics are starting to look a little silly. Hindsight is a cruel thing sometimes! The top players who have attended seem to be having an awesome time! You only need to check out Rickie Fowlers twitter feed to see that :) 

https://twitter.com/RickieFowler

I'm not a Rory fan, but I can see his point he spends enough time in the media and think he'd prefer to do other things !!

Press, practice, tee off 6hrs later more media, warm down think I'd prefer not to grow the game and concentrate on winning or at least competing which he hasn't for a while.

Then again is he not growing the game by simply playing all be not in the Olympics where golf, tennis shouldn't be

On 10/08/2016 at 12:29, OwenDavies said:

Interesting, I think those players who have missed the Olympics are starting to look a little silly. Hindsight is a cruel thing sometimes! The top players who have attended seem to be having an awesome time! You only need to check out Rickie Fowlers twitter feed to see that :) 

https://twitter.com/RickieFowler

No, they're not looking a bit silly.  If the other top players are having an awesome time then good for them, but that's not what the Olympics is for.  They're not young and they are just on a jolly.

Golf in the Olympics is pointless.  Track, field, and swimming etc... make their living now through competitions like the Olympics, but golf doesn't because it never did and never has.  In the days when track, field, swimming, etc... was still amateur, golfers were not; the best were professionals and making a small/medium/good living. They also tried to get the professional boxers "back" into the Olympics - what a dangerous decision that is !

Golf in the Olympics is just a cynical marketing ploy by the IOC & IAAF.  In fact the Olympics is now so damn big that no-one can actually watch it all !  Look at all the temporary Olympic TV channels that air simultaneously.  How can we watch 8 or more channels at the same time?  What a load of rubbish.

Yet again money is spoiling sport.  And yet again a certain "look at me" Scottish has-been golfer "on TV as much as he can to get the attention he thinks he should get"  is talking rubbish about golf in the Olympics.

It's the players who didn't go that are being honest. 

Edited by Viper

I am not sure I agree with any of that to be honest. totally get the argument that Golf should maybe not be in the Olympics, but it is and Golf should be making the very best of it. I have been quite surprised by the coverage is getting, certainly way more than USPGA did from the BBC. 

Also, I was referring to Rickie Fowler, certainly not old, has not started a family yet and is embracing the event. In my opinion he is making Rory and co look like spoilt brats at best. The chance to represent your country at the Olympics should be a honour and you should play if you can regardless of the rights or wrongs of inclusion. The Zika stuff is looking like a poor excuse right now. 

There are very few sports that are now not professional! Certainly in the UK most of our athletes are lottery funded, paid to do their sport. Is that not professional? 

The traditional Olympic sports are all mostly now professional, yes, but they didn't start that way.  Furthermore, they also get sponsorship money from marketing and ads.  For our athletes the Olympics are a normal event for their job, for Tour golfers it isn't.

TV coverage?  We're only getting more because it is cheaper and the IOC insist on it being seen on public channels.

Is Rickie young?  See IOC goal below.

Golf does not need to be "making the very best of it", because it is already, in my humble opinion, a bigger event that the Olympics.  Golf is rich and around all year round; the summer Olympics are once every 4 years.

From the Olympic website:
" The goal of the Olympic Movement is to contribute to building a peaceful and better world by educating youth through sport practised without discrimination or any kind, in a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play. "

What has that statement got to do with Tour golf?  Maybe I'd be less cynical about golf in the Olympics if it had no Tour players in it.  Although football (pointless again) is in the Olympics are the top professional football players in Rio? Note I emphasised top.   Of course they're not, ask yourself why...... 

Funny how so many top international football players have suddenly got an injury.... and GBR are not even sending a team!

Correct me if I am wrong, but GB didn't send a football team because the four federations (England, Scotland, Wales & N Ireland) didn't agree to one team federation as FIFA demanded.

You're not wrong, you're right.  :)

However, the best British players didn't go, and I doubt they would have, given their club commitments, clashing with the start of this domestic season, and that other competition where Wales got further than England........

Just a note to Derek Clements last sentence. A British TV reporter; Charlie Webster; has just been brought out of an induced coma after contracting Malaria after taking part in a Bike Ride for Jane Tomlinson's Charity. She was taken ill after watching the opening ceremony.

3 hours ago, OwenDavies said:

Although this article is well written, I put the case that it actually proves the opposite to that which it intended. The devil is always in the detail:

Andy Murray and tennis:  small terraces, so easy to fill, and a sport that is already popular with a whole cross section of Brazilian/World socio-economic groups. So this is nothing to do with golf.

Justine Rose and golf:  20 deep around the last hole?  Well, of course everyone on the Course wants to see the winning put, at the end, of the last group!   But did the golf events on each day in total have anywhere near the crowds of an Open or Major?  No they didn't... and to compound this error, you'd expect the crowds to be bigger because of the novelty of golf at the Olympics. Any interest in golf stimulated in anyone, including under-20's, is entirely pointless if that area has limited cheap golf courses, and the very groups who want to start are of low income/poor.  The rich always find and do what they want.  You can run of the streets, you can play football on the streets, you can even play hockey on the streets, but you cannot play golf on the streets. Yes, I know that you cannot throw a javelin on the streets, etc.... 

The point about golf sponsors is wrong; the IOC is very bossy about logos' allowed/not allowed on display during the Olympics.  Sharp observers will have noticed a strong reduction in sponsors logo's and names, striking because in golf we are use to seeing a lot of them.  So on this point the writer is wrong. 
Furthermore, all Mcllroy did was to watch a bit of golf, and we all send a mate a congratulatory message; these two things do not prove that Mcllroy "And it seems that McIlroy may realise that he missed out on something special.".  Conjecture.
" You can be certain that McIlroy, Day, Johnson and Spieth will be taking part in the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo " = conjecture.

For most athletes, the Olympics is the pinnacle of their personal achievements. But for golf, and a few others, is it not, and will never be.

Now, had the GBR team been based on the Walker Cup players or similar amateur, and the same for all male and female golfers in all the competitions, I would not be so negative; however, I would still be against golf in the Olympics on many of the grounds I previously stated (you've read them before, and I won't pain you with them again here).

Edited by Viper

Another nail in the golf at the Olympics coffin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/disability-sport/37135083

I'm sure we have all seen the news about the cock-up of the Paralympics money being plundered by the main event in order to finish the work and actually stage it. Only now has further money been made available, but even this is too late for some countries to attend.  The injunction that has just been lifted released about $27USD of additional Government money; too late for some.

However, guess how much the golf course cost?  About $29USD, give or take currency fluctuations.  They wouldn't have needed the additional money if the course hadn't been built. Yes, I know other things also had to be built, but golf was a complete new event this time.  

Olympic golf has ruined the Paralympics (my assertion, not the BBC's) ?    Read the BBC article and others, and then you decide... Before you do, read this article:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/07/the-buried-controversy-in-golfs-historic-return-to.html

Note that this article claims the Olympic village will only be for the wealthy after the games;  I wonder what the golf course's socio-economic target is...?  And then there's the environmental neglect when they built it......

Edited by Viper