Viper

Are golf balls like flat screen TV's ?

I bet your all wondering what I'm on about...
Well here's the rub: there are no more than 4 good flatscreen panel for TV factories on the planet. OLED, LED, LCD...whatever.  But just like washing machines, many OTHER companies buy the naked flat panel, and then put things around it like CPU's, motherboards, software, various quality of speakers, etc...... Then they put their name on it, and that's why there are far, far more than 4 TV "brands" on the high street and online for sale.

So what has this got to do with golf balls?  Well, I was wondering if it is the same for golf balls, i.e. there is only a small number of ACTUAL factories who produce balls, and then others put their names on them?

Anyone know?

Also, if only some ball factories produce for many brand names, does anyone know who these brands are?

2 hours ago, dando said:

Thanks for that.

The last date reference I can find for the Lawsuit is 9 Dec 2015. Vice are still selling "their" Taiwanese ball. 

What I'm really trying to find out is whether any big brand names are selling their premium balls under a different name, cheaper.  This also happens in the European tyre market....

44 minutes ago, dando said:

Achusnet are behind Titleist balls and Pinnacles. 

Not sure of any others

Thanks for that info. 
Do you happen to know if any of the Pinnacles balls are any of the Titleist balls by another name?

FYI everyone.

I ordered and tried a "Vice Selected" 12 pack, that allowed me to try 4 different Vice balls over the summer.
Well, to my absolute sad surprise, they were all terrible. I normally use e6's in summer and AD333 in winter. On one round I lost 7 balls, whereas normally I loose 1 ball per round on average. 

Every ball with every club was short on distance and they all went all over the place, ergo I lost directional control.  The expensive ones, Pro and Pro + (guess what they are trying to emulate...) sounded like "clang" off the face of my irons!  Given all the good reviews and other website forums' positive comments I had seen, I am genuinely flabbergasted.  I wanted them to be good because the balls that allegedly replaces mine are much cheaper, as I do tend to order large.

Has anyone else tried Vice?

Not tried them myself, but have seen very few bad comments about them in the GolfMonthly forum about them.

to be honest you said in July that you had a few years supply of e6, so I'd be quite happy to keep going with those until you need to change. It's not like you are looking for best ball on the planet, by the time you need some more there will probably be another two generations of ball available .... plus there's always eBay for one hit wonders.