Brian T

Shot Trackers

This last year there seemed to be a proliferation of shot trackers appearing. The main two, that are on my radar, are the Game Golf system, and the Microsoft Band. Both still in their infancy, in relative terms, and both have recently been updated with newer systems.

the Game Golf system now works as a free app, as a tag system standalone, and the classic and new live system. Biggest negative for me is the tagging system, but also if I don't want to use the phone zapping cheaper versions then the cost is quite a lot for a system that I wonder if I'd use often enough to justify.

the Microsoft Band follows the health bandwagon and can provide golf analysis with the addition of the Taylormade app. Price is attractive at £70 for the 'old' version, and the huge positive would be the automatic tracking of shots (albeit with editing if required like the GG post round too). 

So has anybody used both systems and can give some real life comparison between them?

Would be interesting to hear from anyone who's tested mutilple devices. So far I've heard lots of positives but also a few negatives around forgetting to tag, time to tag and also the accuracy which then means extra work once you are back.

2016 should see this tech space get more crowded with several additional systems:

Arccos

Caddieon

PIQ

SkyGolf GameTracker

Plus I don't think it will be long before some one does some cheaper versions which simply use your phone GPS, phone NFC & some cheap NFC stickers that you stick on your club shafts. Free idea for anyone interested :) 

Would be great to see all the devices reported on during actual proper usage by real golfer(s) .... rather than just a round or few holes .... just need to find an enthusiastic golfer ;)

theres also Golf Pad GPS that sell tags (similar to the Game Golf tag system that works with your phone) they sell for $99

One of the problems here is how well you swing the golf club.

It's OK tracking every shot, but at the end of the day if you don't have a consistent golf swing it won't really matter!

Russ

• Like 2

Ive been using Game Golf most of the season and love it, it gives me a real insight in to my game especially my club performance. I carried out a gap testing session at the start of the year and this pretty much mirrors what my stats say.

Feel free to have a look on the below link.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/mpearce1980/insights/club-performance/share/b2e86b6f74

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/mpearce1980/insights/off-the-tee/share/b2e86b6f74

Martin

Edited by mpearce1980
Spelling mistakes
  • Like 1

The free GAMEGOLF app is pretty good TBF I felt it was major hassle tagging with your phone after every shot, but after 4-5 rounds (when its not raining) its pretty good and being a stato ideal to see where your going wrong 31% fairways since my return to golf after 5 years out ! wow no wonder its a lot tougher than 20 years ago. 

Tags look the best option (especially in the wet)  I'm using to phones one for hole19 distances / hazards and one for gamegolf tracking (so no battery issues) 

tech is good keeps it interesting ! 

Been using this system for a while and really enjoy it. No tagging and proximity to hole stats are a real plus. I used to have a game golf but always forgot to tag, Arcoss are an american company that do a similar thing but never used that so can't comment on it but if you don't like wearing a watch it may be the answer for you, having said that I don't find the band intrusive at all.