Sign in to follow this  
trevor slater

texas scramble

Why do the powers that be think it fair to use 10% of the total handicap of a four player team. Eg. 4 x 25 handicap players after deduction have to play off a handicap of 10 a team of four each with a handicap of 5 after 10% deduction play a handicap of two who do you think the likely winners will be.

'the powers that be' are your own competitions organisers, it's there decision to decide on how the format of the competition is decided. 

Personally I've seen a team of high handicappers a beat a low handicap team on regular occasions in a scramble. 

On 25/09/2018 at 19:17, trevor slater said:

Why do the powers that be think it fair to use 10% of the total handicap of a four player team. Eg. 4 x 25 handicap players after deduction have to play off a handicap of 10 a team of four each with a handicap of 5 after 10% deduction play a handicap of two who do you think the likely winners will be.

Seriously, I just read that 10 times, and it doesn't make any sense. 

This is how a Texas scramble works. It is a medal event, so the total shots of each hole are added together. All the players handicaps are then added together, and if there are 4 players, then the total handicap is divided by 4.  The handicap is then taken from the gross score. Some competitions may specify that a team has to play off of 90% of their handicap (10% deducted). Therefore, if all of you played off of 25, that would be a total of 100-10%/4, therefore the teams handicap would be 22.5.  I think you may have got a little confused, as the competition would not be 10% of the handicap, it would 10% deducted. Hope you understand