Andy Nixon

High handicap.

Just a question regarding the tee boxes for general club competitions.

Why is golf geared to the "younger players" who can hit the ball miles and clear the initial 150 yards on a par 4 or so with ease. I am a player with too many years behind him so I feel I can't compete even though I have a high handicap. Off the competition tees, golf is a totally different game. So the high handicap doesn't really work for the more 'elderly' player. Why can't there be a system where your handicap dictates which tee box to use in club competitions. I could leave my club I suppose and use a pay and play facility for fun rounds but that's not what I want. I like my club and I love golf, but the battle between the 300+ drivers and the course pin positions to fight back and "protect the course" is winning the dual.

I would love to play from a tee box that reflects my ability in a competition and give me half a chance.

It has very little to do with 'golf'  in general and more to do with your course layout, the course manager and greenkeepers. They are the people that can determine that fairways have long carrys etc. 

@Andy Nixon it is coming.  In the UK we are heavily bound by the tradition of red, yellow, white tees ie ladies, general men play, men competition.

However, over the last few years courses have started to introduce blues/greens often for juniors.   The States do this much better than use and once the updates course rating and slopes are introduced in the UK then courses should be able to do away with red, yellow, white and go with what they like.  Each tee will then have a men and ladies rating and slope meaning handicaps can then be applied based on which tee you are playing.  This would then make it much easier for a fourball to play off differing tees and still compete from a handicap perspective.