Golfshake Editor

Worst Rule Breach You've Seen on Golf Course

It's fair to say that Phil Mickelson lost a few supporters on Saturday at the US Open, when he deliberately hit a moving ball on the green to stop it rolling off the surface, taking a two-shot penalty. It was a stunning moment, one that he afterwards doubled down on in quite astonishing comments. Many felt he should have been disqualified from the Championship, and it certainly breached the principles of the game and raises question for future competitions. 

But it got me thinking. What is the worst example of rule breaking that you have seen on the golf course, perhaps in a competitive round? Maybe you've seen a moment like the stunt that Mickelson pulled at Shinnecock! 

There is a bloke at my club who carries a spare ball in his pocket. this ball will always be the same make and number as the one he is playing with. I think you know what he does next. Unfortunately, despite the fact so many of us make jokes about it when he is in earshot, nobody has challenged him yest.

17th hole, i'm a stroke down and hole-wise we're all square. It's a par 4 with winter greens which I manage to drive. Guy I'm playing against hit his drive off the heel and it went 10 yards behind him into heavy rough. He plays a provisional which also ends up on the green. he doesn't even bother to look for his ball, but I do because I know it's going to take him a stroke to hack or drop out and then another 2 to the green. I find his ball which he refuses to play.

I won the hole and the round, but it still left a bad taste in the mouth.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2019 at 17:45, NeilMackay said:

17th hole, i'm a stroke down and hole-wise we're all square. It's a par 4 with winter greens which I manage to drive. Guy I'm playing against hit his drive off the heel and it went 10 yards behind him into heavy rough. He plays a provisional which also ends up on the green. he doesn't even bother to look for his ball, but I do because I know it's going to take him a stroke to hack or drop out and then another 2 to the green. I find his ball which he refuses to play.

I won the hole and the round, but it still left a bad taste in the mouth.

Fair play the word PROVISIONAL gave you the right to do it, not lets see how this one goes before I make a choice. the 2nd ball always flies down the middle 250 yrds away :-)