northernpete

Maximum hanicap in competitions

Played in an open today with a max handicap of 20. My playing partner was my dad who has a CONGU handicap of 30. He has rheumatoid arthritis and does well to get round off this. Its a huge disadvantage to him losing such a high percentage of shots and doesnt really have a hope in hells chance of winning compared to people like myself who are under the max handicap limit. CONGU have allowed handicaps up to 54 and I'm sure people have an opinion on this. But surely putting handicap limits in comps is just cutting out high handicap players who really want to get involved. I personally think it kind of defeats the purpose of having a handicap system in the game. What are your thoughts on this? Is there another reason for this handicap limit? 

Played in an open today with a max handicap of 20. My playing partner was my dad who has a CONGU handicap of 30. He has rheumatoid arthritis and does well to get round off this. Its a huge disadvantage to him losing such a high percentage of shots and doesnt really have a hope in hells chance of winning compared to people like myself who are under the max handicap limit. CONGU have allowed handicaps up to 54 and I'm sure people have an opinion on this. But surely putting handicap limits in comps is just cutting out high handicap players who really want to get involved. I personally think it kind of defeats the purpose of having a handicap system in the game. What are your thoughts on this? Is there another reason for this handicap limit? 

Your 4th word gave the answer. An Open Competition brings all sorts of golfers together so has a Hcp limit put on them by most organisers. The CONGU limit of 54 is mainly for Club level where an eye can be kept on a players progress. Imagine how you would feel if a guy turns in a Nett 40 to win prizes worth over £150.

I've heard, not seen so don't quote me, but there has been talk about splitting comps into categories at some events.  Not sure if anyone will actually do this though. 

But @northernpete you are right, very odd to increase handicaps above 28/36 to 54 to make the game more accessible and fairer to all then limit when it comes to competitive golf.

11 hours ago, TheLyth said:

Your 4th word gave the answer. An Open Competition brings all sorts of golfers together so has a Hcp limit put on them by most organisers. The CONGU limit of 54 is mainly for Club level where an eye can be kept on a players progress. Imagine how you would feel if a guy turns in a Nett 40 to win prizes worth over £150.

Agree about the Nett 40 but this applies to anyone playing to a hcp which is not a reflection of their current game and can exist at all handicap levels. I agree it is easier to keep an eye on hcps at club level but even in our club competitions, the limit is set at 28. Is setting a limit just accepting that the handicap system is open to cheating, and therefore we can say the hcp limit is just trying to deal with the problem and not the cause? The cause being the way handicap systems are maintained is not effective enough to prevent cheating? A handicap limit will only stop bandits above the limit at the same time disadvantaging the honest golfers who are in this category. Not saying I am right or anyone is wrong, just my opinion.

• Like 1

Entry to comps may be limited by handicap normally for two reasons. 1) to limit the size of the field 2) to maintain the quality of entry (often done at county or national level)

But if neither of these apply and the club simply wants to prevent high handicappers winning, then they may limit the handicap for winning prizes (to 24 say) and allow entry to any player BUT the player's full handicap MUST be used for handicap purposes.

Shows how long ago I last played, maximum handicap was 28/36 and even then you came across your fair share of bandits, having a HC of up to 56 is just mental in my opinion, how could a player like myself who practiced to get their club handicap down to 11 and society down to 6 ever compete with such high handicappers.

Personally If I had the chance to enter a competition with a handicap limit lower than my own, (bearing in mind I've not played for 16 years and expect no more then a 28 hc) I would either not bother or enter for the experience alone, as I think playing with better players helps improve your own game too.