IAMYOURHANDICAP

I need help

Hello,

Ok, I am VERY new to golf.  My daughter (at my behest) played three years of HS golf and got quite good at it.  We have played a few times together and I have played a couple of times with friends.  I have heard the best way to learn is to go to a pro and take lessons.  I am disabled and frankly don't have the money to do that.

I have a set of clubs that were given to me by a friend.  I did purchase my own putter which I like.  But to be honest, Hitting that pebble off the tee is a challenge.  I played a lot of baseball, football, lacrosse, and hockey in my youth but this game I find challenging just to get the ball into play.

My driver looks like what some of these people are using as a fairway wood, and I am considering getting myself a new (read preowned), driver.  I do have back issues and where I wouldn't have the money to play every week I would like to get good enough to hit the ball off the Tee...We can work on straight after I can get it to go.

Am I approaching this incorrectly?  Oh, and the username...that's no joke LOL

Thanks in advance!!!

12 hours ago, IAMYOURHANDICAP said:

Hello,

Ok, I am VERY new to golf.  My daughter (at my behest) played three years of HS golf and got quite good at it.  We have played a few times together and I have played a couple of times with friends.  I have heard the best way to learn is to go to a pro and take lessons.  I am disabled and frankly don't have the money to do that.

I have a set of clubs that were given to me by a friend.  I did purchase my own putter which I like.  But to be honest, Hitting that pebble off the tee is a challenge.  I played a lot of baseball, football, lacrosse, and hockey in my youth but this game I find challenging just to get the ball into play.

My driver looks like what some of these people are using as a fairway wood, and I am considering getting myself a new (read preowned), driver.  I do have back issues and where I wouldn't have the money to play every week I would like to get good enough to hit the ball off the Tee...We can work on straight after I can get it to go.

Am I approaching this incorrectly?  Oh, and the username...that's no joke LOL

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi and welcome, to be honest, you are wasting money by buying a driver without getting a couple of lessons.. I have been given the same advice, and to be honest, ignored it, spent a fortune, and not until I had a lessons was I able to have anything resembling a constant strike..
I watched a youtube video not too long ago, where someone was using a 7 iron for most of the game, a 7 can usually get around 150 yards(carry)..   A par 5 at say 500 yards, you will be on or near the green in 3, then it's short game..   Takes a fair bit to realise it's your short game that matters more than anything... If you think, a bad chip turns into 2 chips, 1 putt turns into 3 putts, there's 5 shots that should have been 2 or 3..  Hope that helps a bit..  and good luck

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sdparkes66 said:
7 hours ago, sdparkes66 said:

Hi and welcome, to be honest, you are wasting money by buying a driver without getting a couple of lessons.. I have been given the same advice, and to be honest, ignored it, spent a fortune, and not until I had a lessons was I able to have anything resembling a constant strike..
I watched a youtube video not too long ago, where someone was using a 7 iron for most of the game, a 7 can usually get around 150 yards(carry)..   A par 5 at say 500 yards, you will be on or near the green in 3, then it's short game..   Takes a fair bit to realise it's your short game that matters more than anything... If you think, a bad chip turns into 2 chips, 1 putt turns into 3 putts, there's 5 shots that should have been 2 or 3..  Hope that helps a bit..  and good luck

Thank you!  The Golf Course by me gives group lessons that are about $125.00 for 3 or 4 lessons with I think 5 people or so in the class.  I have already asked when their first class will be and will see if I can attend.

Edited by IAMYOURHANDICAP

On 26/02/2018 at 11:06, sdparkes66 said:

wasting money by buying a driver without getting a couple of lessons

Top advice.  Hit the range, practice, enjoy it, have some lessons and then go from there.  Lots of cheaper options in terms of kit when you first start out.  Once you hone more consistency, play regular, then custom fit all day long for new kit.