sdparkes66

A little bit of geek

So I do a fair bit of "geekness" for a living and was wondering if the following would be at all useful for Golf Clubs.

Am thinking of writing a "how-to" and/or providing the information on how to build a weather station based on a Raspberry Pi, which can Tweet/Facebook course status (open, closed etc) and current weather conditions.

To be honest, it's nothing new,  just something I thought might be handy, this could be linked into a website so if the course status on the website were changed this could be picked up and used to prevent the need to update 2 lots of course conditions..

I have investigated doing this with a remote station, (now we get super geeky) using LoraWAN which could be done if there is coverage in the area. If there is, then a low power node using Solar power with battery backup could be placed elsewhere on the course, or maybe at a halfway hut if available.

None of this is something that would break the bank, and might be good for golfers getting current info via Social Media...

So, just some thoughts dribbling out of my head, which I have not invested much time into all aspects so quite possible I've missed something or overthought something which could be done easier :)

Don't beat me up, but if you have thoughts on improving, please let me know, am happy to hack away at this..

• Like 1

Some Golf Courses already have the local weather forecast on their web sites but many are taken from the Met Office/BBC feeds. The problem with that is clear here on the east Yorkshire coast. Filey GC is 10.1mls from Ganton GC and 6.9mls from Scarborough South Cliff GC and each one takes their 'local forecast' from the same source, so it is possible to think the weather is the same at all three venues when in fact Filey could have visibility of 50yds (sea fret), Ganton could be in sunshine and its raining at Scarborough. This did happen last year.

Also most course sites do tell you if it is open or not. 

@sdparkes66 I looked at something similar a while back with Arduino boards but never got round to it.  Lots you could also do with GPS hole position tracking for maintenance and info etc

Great project idea and lots could be done.  Issue is packaging it up into a sellable product and then getting the clubs to buy it.

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2018 at 12:53, darrenram said:

@sdparkes66 I looked at something similar a while back with Arduino boards but never got round to it.  Lots you could also do with GPS hole position tracking for maintenance and info etc

Great project idea and lots could be done.  Issue is packaging it up into a sellable product and then getting the clubs to buy it.

Am not too worried about the selling side, or for that matter making money, all I would be doing is hacking together modules that are already Open Source and doing a little bit of coding to tie it up. Bung it in a box, plug it in (or could go solar) and away you go...

• Like 1