sdparkes66

Get Fitted Yes or No

I've been doing some reading and lots of watching (You Tube etc), and am wondering how much I would benefit from having a set of clubs fitted..

With the aid of my missus and a tape measure, I am wrist to floor 36" and 71.5" in height. I found a chart which suggested I should have +2 ...

Obviously, this is going to cost a fair chunk of cash, would get value being a high handicapper ?

• Like 1

makes zero difference, marketing hype. your swing will adapt to anything over time, OK maybe the right shaft is key but length doesn't matter. I can hit +2 -1 with no difference 

My driver R15 is 1" shorter than my 909 D3 yet I hit the sweet spot more on the 909 but if you listen to the spiel shorter is better for centred hits 

TECH hasn't improved in irons for ages if you have the latest 3-4 years and a good brand stick with them and practice more or get a few lessons. clubs won't improve anything they just look new for a month and then they work like the old ones. 

:-) 

As for adjusting clubs, reshafting is properly the cheaper option 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ricey155 said:

makes zero difference, marketing hype. your swing will adapt to anything over time, OK maybe the right shaft is key but length doesn't matter. I can hit +2 -1 with no difference 

Basically I went out and picked up these (at the bottom) when I started a year ago, mainly because they were the "right price" (£140 brand new)..

I did have a lesson back then as well, and the pro said, they will do me for a while but would need more appropriate clubs, looking back, and having a little knowledge (always a bad thing), I am guessing he was referring to the senior flex shafts.

I do intend on having more lessons this coming year, as my target is 18, but hoping for 15, I guess am ready to pull the trigger on a new set if advised.

Benross Gold Speed Irons

Aldila Gold Speed Senior Graphite Shafts

Nothing wrong with benross irons, and aldila shafts are as good as any. been around a long time. 

If you pop in to American golf or your local pro, he needs to shift his 2017 product and make a living so it's going to be better getting custom fit, also it's a lot harder to get internet prices when they custom fit it. some even charge for the pleasure of fitting you out #Belfy and give it back if you buy the clubs. 

personally I'd go to say john Reays and try a demo club on the range, see if your losing distance, see how the flight is and go from there. if there not selling you the latest TECH what can they do. #Marketing #Money 

How much would golf subs be if you didn't have an overpaid next working selling mars bars and collecting green fees and entry's. 30k for a pro 30k for a secretary 30k for a bar manager. you could employ normal honest people to do the job. 

next years irons will be 10yrds longer etc yet the loft will be again reduced so your 7 iron is a 5.5 iron and your wedge will go 150 yrds. there just numbers at the end of the day. if you know how far #Trackman #GC2 

spend £10-20 and go do a gap test on your clubs #Oakridge did £10 an hour off peak, I guess most do deals. I know exactly if I strike it right how far they go so when I pin the flag or bunker carry if I commit and judge all the elements I'll be pin high ALL DAY. 

Dave Rantington :-) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally I think you should always get your clubs fitted, or at least compare your own vs any potential purchase on some sort of launch monitor. Depending how serious you take your golf, then i'd say you have 2 options:

1. Don't have golf lessons and rarely practice, just like to get out on the course. In which case get fitted for a set of irons which will work with your current swing and gain you some yards/tighter dispersion, which ever you need help with most.
  2. If you are having lessons, then wait until you've had a few lessons and you've made all the major changes. Then if you still want new clubs again get fitted for something that will work with you swing and help with areas you're struggling.

There's so many places that offer fittings these day, in my eyes it's really a no brainer.

• Like 1

I have just been fitted for a set of clubs, and to be honest I was amazed at how much difference subtle changes make, a little tweek here and there make all the difference.

I found that steel shafts do not suit me although I'd probably learn to adjust and the head 1 degree flat enables me to hit the ball so much better, in the end the figures do not lie, you can see in numbers what works and what doesn't and go from there, personally I would not buy a set of clubs without them being fitted.