Sign in to follow this  
Golfshake Editor

Worst Winter Weather You've Played Golf In

Seeing as much of the UK has been blanketed with snow in recent days - not here in St. Andrews though! - I thought it was a good time to reflect on the worst conditions you've played in during the winter. Being very much a fair weather golfer, my stories are few and far between, but I have played in both snowfall and ice before. 

That was at the Kingarth Links on the Isle of Bute when I was a teenager. Myself and a friend were incredibly keen, so we went out to the course despite the weather. Fairways were frozen, and when the snow started to fall we had to putt through it leaving trails on the greens! Suffice to say,  we were the only people there, aside from a rather bemused greenkeeper wondering why we bothered. 

So, what about you? Have you played in a blizzard or December storm? 

went out for a game one weekend, it was cold, very cold. starting snowing as we left the first green, and was settling by the time we got to the scond green, it was silly, rang the pro shop and was told, 'the course is open'

I've told this story before but once played at Belton Woods in torrential rain.

We should have walked off after 9 but our boss at the time had paid for us all and he was in the group in front and still playing.  The 10th was so bad with wind and rain you couldn't see past 30 yards.  My 3 ball did delibarate for a while and ended being joined by the 3 ball in our party that were behind us.  We then played the next 3 holes before calling it a day - water was literally throughout everywhere pockets, shoes, bags.

After drying off and warming up our boss walked in having played all 18 holes !!!

I've only ever walked off 1 other course and that was on the 16th at the Belfry with @Matt Holbrook  visibility was fine this time but my biggest concern was getting the clubs and gear dry for the following day !

:)

Use to play in all weather apart from snow.

I remember my playing partner hitting a 9 iron into the green on a rather chilly morning.  He might as well have been hitting onto concrete.  The ball bounced at least 40 ft in the air, over the back of the green never to be seen again.

I also remember a rather windy day, playing a short par 4 that was normally a 3 wood and a wedge or maybe a sand iron.  I hit Driver, Driver, 3 wood and 8 iron.  One of the par 5's in the opposite direction became a Driver, 9 iron hole rather than the Driver, 3 iron, 9 iron it usually was.

Happy days!!

• Like 1