Sign in to follow this  
sdparkes66

Range Finders...

As a high handicapper, is spending £200+ on a laser range finder actually worthwhile ?

I see people all over the place measuring distances and do wonder if it's really just good for people who can hit a consistent distance, which from what I can tell are in the lower handicap areas of play.

What I do have is a Swarmi gps, which gives approximate distances, stood still I have seen it move by upto 10 meters, which is now why I tend to "eyeball" the distances..

Right now have no intention of buying one until I feel it will make a significant difference to my game, at the moment I can look at a hole and have a good idea on what club I need. Just think it will be interesting seeing points of view towards laser range finders, luxury, invaluable or just plain "money to burn".

It all depends on the players ability. What is the use of knowing its 148yds to the pin with a £200 object when you don't hit your clubs a regular distance. It is worth paying that amount of money when you hit clubs a consistent distance only. 

I think its a bit catch 22. If you buy 1 your distance control will improve as you will continually be able to assess if your shot is long / short etc. and the better you get the more use you will get through club selection.  It also gives more focus to your shot with less doubt as to whether the club selection is correct. Maybe start with a second hand garmin gps at about £60 Then as you improve stretch to a flag spotter type for more accuracy. Dave. 

• Thanks 1