Golfshake Editor

Are You Joining a Golf Club Next Year?

It's been interesting to read the changing habits of UK golfers lately. Club memberships are seemingly no longer vital, with many electing to be more nomadic, playing a variety of courses without joining a specific club. However, are the benefits of being member still enough to entice golfers to sign up?

That was the topic of an article on Golfshake by Derek Clements, who gave 20 reasons why you should be a member of a golf club. What about you? Are the competitions and familiarity of a golf club appealing, or do you now seek greater flexibility in just paying as you play? 

Personally, I'm something of a unique example, living in St. Andrews. I have a Resident Links Ticket - meaning I can play all the courses - but I'm not a member of a specific club. Something that I am now thinking about. Intrigued to hear your thoughts and whether being a club member is something you believe is a necessity these days.

Tak KGC    2

I have been a member of a golf club for well over 20 years now but for the first time ever I am considering next year trying a year without membership and just paying and playing to see how it goes....choices choices.....

darrenram    26

I've done the opposite and joined a club so I can play more, play when I want and play what I want ie 5 holes, 9 holes, full 18 etc

• Thanks 1

sdparkes66    8

I started playing golf last Aug/Sept..  And was hooked immediately, I joined a local club, and during the last year I have had very little social interaction, when I asked about getting involved in a Midweek Stableford, I was told just to find a partner. I asked how to do this within the club, the response..  Just find one :/

Last night, was the nail in the coffin as far as the club is concerned..  I organised a social event, 10 players, 9 holes at the club on the phone, previously, my visitors have paid £10 for 9 twilight holes in the pro shop, when I phoned up and spoke to the receptionist, she told me it should be £15, when i explained that normally my guests have been paying £10, she said ok, but in future it would have to be £15..  Fair enough, not a problem...

So we get to the club, the owner came out and asked to have a quick chat, and promptly told me that she was surprised at me bring so many guests (even though I had called and verified everything, booked tee's etc), and that the guests must pay £15 a head, AND that I have to go in today to discuss my membership, which for some obscure reason said she is considering suspending !!!

Needless to say, I was quite flabbergasted at this, and whilst I can't say I didn't argue, I did make it clear that I was not happy and that had verified the cost, at which point she said, "it is your fault that I now will be sacking the receptionist and probably the Assistant pro for allowing guests on the course for £10"..  Put quite a dampener on the evening to say the least. luckily my guests were ok with the extra fee...

I'm wondering, is this kind of behavior normal for a golf club ??

Oh, there was also the incident at the beginning, where after 5 months, I was called in because (in their words) "our admin department messed up and we have not processed your direct debit form, you now owe us £xxx which we would like to you pay immediately"   ..  Maybe I'm at fault a bit as I didn't check to ensure that the money was being taken, I refused to cough up straight away, and promised to pay by the outstanding balance by the end of my membership year..    

TheLyth    35

It is always good to look around, when joining a Club. I am lucky that I live in an area where memberships are not too expensive. My Club (Filey GC) has roll up Clutches for all types of golfer and are a good way to find regular partners. I am taking a year off Full Playing Membership (£650) and only being a Social Member (£25) because I will be unable to play regularly because I'm having health issues and hope to get them sorted in the next twelve months.

• Thanks 1

sdparkes66    8
5 hours ago, TheLyth said:

It is always good to look around, when joining a Club. I am lucky that I live in an area where memberships are not too expensive. My Club (Filey GC) has roll up Clutches for all types of golfer and are a good way to find regular partners. I am taking a year off Full Playing Membership (£650) and only being a Social Member (£25) because I will be unable to play regularly because I'm having health issues and hope to get them sorted in the next twelve months.

That what I am going to do, is have a better look around the local area, and maybe a little further afield, I try and keep distance to a minimum so I can get 9 holes or more in on teh way home, or if i have an hour or 2 to burn at the weekend, get onto the coerce and out of the wife's hair :)

15 hours ago, sdparkes66 said:

I'm wondering, is this kind of behavior normal for a golf club ?? 

I would like to think not. Sounds like you've been unlucky. 

Hope you find a better club. If you need any help with finding potential golfers to meet, put a message out on the forum and we can push that out across Twitter and Facebook to maybe fine someone in your area. Perhaps even in a similar position to you now!

RussMidd    11

sdparkes66, please name and shame this course.  They should be grateful you are bringing people into the club!

I was a member as Stapleford Abbotts GC for about seven years.  Five minutes from getting in my car to getting out of it at the golf club, ideal.

Then, I was unemployed for a couple of months and had to suspend my membership.  

When I got back straight on the finances I went back to the golf club to see about re-joining.

My circumstances had changed regarding playing times.  All they offered me was the seven day membership, the five day membership or their pay for points system.  (It is a Crown golf course).

Being as I would be working every other weekend, the seven day option wasn't worth the money.  The five day membership meant that during the winter months I would be paying them but would not be able to play!  And, their pay for points system had just gone up, so the times I would be playing would cost me more.  Despite me having been a member for seven years, they didn't even try to sort something out for me.  So, I didn't re-join.

What I'm doing now is using the Teetimes and Teeofftimes website and finding the best deals local to me.  I played Belhus Park a month or so ago for £4, yes, £4 for 18 holes on a Monday.  Absolute bargain, and the course was in a great condition.

So, I don't think I will join a golf club again, unless I find one that is willing to consider my circumstances when deciding my annual fees.

I do miss the medals and playing for the golf club, and I'm not playing as much as I used to.  But, I'm going to have to put up with it until I can find something better.

Russ

• Thanks 1

sdparkes66    8
1 hour ago, RussMidd said:

sdparkes66, please name and shame this course.  They should be grateful you are bringing people into the club!

/snip

Russ

Whilst am tempted to name and shame, I'd rather not, as it turns out they also cancelled the membership of one of my colleagues, just through association with me, this is now become, while not a legal matter, there is a good chance it will..   So I must limit what I am saying, just in case this gets even worse..

I'm now playing at Ardencote, costing me £40 a month to play as much as I want, and am not tied into a 12 month contract, just pay monthly when you want, it's great !!!!

The only issue is, it's not a "proper" golf club, no matches, or handicap etc..  But am going to spend the next few months playing there and having a look at other courses. I must say, at Ardencote, my game is so much better that at the previous place (which was a monster Parkland course), also not having to climb what felt like the side of K2 a few times every round. Nice flatish course, plenty of hazards/doglegs/lakes to keep me on my toes, crackin for an after work 9 holes on the way home....

Simon

Rob Nutt    52

my club is offering 18 months for the price of 13, £520 gets you 7 day membership until April 2018. 

There is also a new category for next year, a 6 day membership, Sun - Fri, with playing rights after 1530 on Saturdays, 

Competitions every Saturday, scratch league and Avon league matches as well as B team friendlies throughout the summer

sdparkes66    8
11 hours ago, Rob Nutt said:

my club is offering 18 months for the price of 13, £520 gets you 7 day membership until April 2018. 

There is also a new category for next year, a 6 day membership, Sun - Fri, with playing rights after 1530 on Saturdays, 

Competitions every Saturday, scratch league and Avon league matches as well as B team friendlies throughout the summer

That sounds pretty good, what club is that Rob ?

Rob Nutt    52
16 hours ago, sdparkes66 said:

That sounds pretty good, what club is that Rob ?

This one

11 hours ago, Ricey155 said:

April 2019 ? 

got me there, 

• Like 1

sdparkes66    8
21 hours ago, Rob Nutt said:

Rob, any chance of a pic of a score card please, can't find it on the website, am really interested in having a round there with a view to joining in the new year

Rob Nutt    52

I'l get one tomorrow, or you could search via golfshake, the indexes has changed due to a remeasure and we also have the course measured as a par 70, I pay every Sunday and you are more than welcome to come over for a game. 

Did you look at the fly over? The course is flat with water in play for quite a few holes, work is ongoing, current project is to have the bridge on the 8th/ 17th relaid making it more buggy friendly

sdparkes66    8
On 10/13/2017 at 21:05, Rob Nutt said:

I'l get one tomorrow, or you could search via golfshake, the indexes has changed due to a remeasure and we also have the course measured as a par 70, I pay every Sunday and you are more than welcome to come over for a game. 

Just popped over to have a look, was amazed, looks really nice, plenty of tree etc...
Grabbed a card and took a photo, love the fact there is an honesty box, only ever seen 2 places with one, gives faith in society...

Will be over for a knock around soon I think :)

IMG_1137.JPG

Rob Nutt    52

Simon,

I forgot yesterday and have been out today in Leicester.

Did you have a walk round or just go by the practise area? Was it far to travel?

I;m out next week at Nottingham, but from then on if the course is open you normally find me hacking around on Sunday morning

sdparkes66    8
1 hour ago, Rob Nutt said:

Simon,

I forgot yesterday and have been out today in Leicester.

Did you have a walk round or just go by the practise area? Was it far to travel?

I;m out next week at Nottingham, but from then on if the course is open you normally find me hacking around on Sunday morning

No worries Rob, just wandered up past the practice area, only about 15 miles, I live in Wellesbourne, just outside Stratford..

May be up there Sunday, won't know until closer though..

sdparkes66    8
16 hours ago, Rob Nutt said:

David,

Welcome to Golf Shake. 

Is your above post in relation to my previous posts regarding Copsewood Grange GC?

I think he's a spammer, checked the link in his signature... (If not, I apologise)

• Like 1