Hey guys, so was out playing last night, and the light was fading, towards the end of the round, tired etc..  (good enough excuse) ?

I played someone elses ball !!!!  ( was a crackin shot as well )

What rule is this covered by, best I can tell, is Rule 15, but thats for a substituted ball...

Am new to digging through the rules, so any help would be appreciated..

"If a competitor makes a stroke or strokes at a wrong ball, he incurs a penalty of two strokes.

The competitor must correct his mistake by playing the correct ball or by proceeding under the Rules. If he fails to correct his mistake before making a stroke on the next teeing ground or, in the case of the last hole of the round, fails to declare his intention to correct his mistake before leaving the putting green, he is disqualified.

Strokes made by a competitor with a wrong ball do not count in his score. If the wrong ball belongs to another competitor, its owner must place a ball on the spot from which the wrong ball was first played."

11 hours ago, Rob Nutt said:

"If a competitor makes a stroke or strokes at a wrong ball, he incurs a penalty of two strokes.

The competitor must correct his mistake by playing the correct ball or by proceeding under the Rules. If he fails to correct his mistake before making a stroke on the next teeing ground or, in the case of the last hole of the round, fails to declare his intention to correct his mistake before leaving the putting green, he is disqualified.

Strokes made by a competitor with a wrong ball do not count in his score. If the wrong ball belongs to another competitor, its owner must place a ball on the spot from which the wrong ball was first played."

Thanks Rob

I guessed right for the penalty, but we got it wrong as the other guy played from where the ball landed after I hit it..  Live and learn :)

On 8/18/2017 at 08:10, sdparkes66 said:

What rule is this covered by, best I can tell, is Rule 15, but thats for a substituted ball...

15-2 is about a Substituted Ball

15-3 is about a Wrong Ball

Edited by AAA
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AAA said:

15-2 is about a Substituted Ball

15-3 is about a Wrong Ball

http://www.randa.org/Rules-of-Golf/MainRules/15-Substituted-Ball-Wrong-Ball/SubRules/3-Wrong-Ball

I now carry a rule book, as since this incident, we had has discussion about balls in bunkers and being deemed unplayable..

I have seen a VIDEO about it's the ball player who deems it unplayable in a bunker (maybe too near the edge etc)