Forum Admin

Are you happy to see the PGA on the BBC?

Huge potential for more viewers has got to be good. sky viewing figures are tiny compared to bbc, and I don't believe that the potential lack of the gizmos from sky would mean anything to new players watching (and surely the growing the game is for new players, not new viewers). The pictures will be from us broadcaster anyway so sky will not add much to the visuals anyway.

now if bbc can snatch the first two days of masters coverage too then that would be huge.

I wonder/hope that the European PGA and the R&A might notice what GB cricket have recently done; put cricket back on terrestrial TV:

https://www.ft.com/content/9220b274-0a38-11e7-97d1-5e720a26771b

“We have no ambition to be the richest, most irrelevant sport in this country,” Tom Harrison, chief executive of the England and Wales Cricket Board.

I despise what Sky have done to terrestrial TV sport with their buckets of cash.

It's great to take the big money off Sky but if you take the viewing element away from all but the interested you lose the growth in the game.

I have sky (virgin actually) so either way wasn't much of an issue to me apart from the fact that sky do always show the big tournaments from start to finish. I just hope that BBC offer plenty of coverage and get some decent presenters on (please not Gary Lineker again). It would be nice if they were as innovative as sky have been.....we will soon see I guess. The viewing figures will be interesting to see at the end of the tournament. 

'Ken on the course' is much better than anything Sky offer.

Sky just piggy back USTV broadcasts most of the time.

I also like the fact BBC Directors are scanning the pictures to give the guys something to play with (guy asleep during Wimbledon Final etc) and the guys in the box relate to all viewers and don't analyse the swings all the time.

A classic example is BBC:- "Kuchar with a putt for birdie here at 14, (load cheer). That sounded like a Rory cheer. Kuchar's putt slides past and he stays at -8"

Picture cuts to 17th green.   

"Well here is Rory for eagle, I think he might hole it"

While Sky would say "Well Kuchar stays at -8, but Rory has eagled the 17th so lets see how he did it"

17 hours ago, Tak KGC said:

I have sky (virgin actually) so either way wasn't much of an issue to me apart from the fact that sky do always show the big tournaments from start to finish. I just hope that BBC offer plenty of coverage and get some decent presenters on (please not Gary Lineker again). It would be nice if they were as innovative as sky have been.....we will soon see I guess. The viewing figures will be interesting to see at the end of the tournament. 

Having Sky Sports is fine if you can afford it. If golf wants to keep there sports relevant, as well as grow it, they must get TV viewers in the market that cannot afford Sky sports.

3 hours ago, TheLyth said:

'Ken on the course' is much better than anything Sky offer.

Sky just piggy back USTV broadcasts most of the time.

I also like the fact BBC Directors are scanning the pictures to give the guys something to play with (guy asleep during Wimbledon Final etc) and the guys in the box relate to all viewers and don't analyse the swings all the time.

A classic example is BBC:- "Kuchar with a putt for birdie here at 14, (load cheer). That sounded like a Rory cheer. Kuchar's putt slides past and he stays at -8"

Picture cuts to 17th green.   

"Well here is Rory for eagle, I think he might hole it"

While Sky would say "Well Kuchar stays at -8, but Rory has eagled the 17th so lets see how he did it"

Spot on TheLyth.
In particular  "Ken on the Course"  is bloody marvellous!  Just like "Ted's Notebooks" are, to me, the most interesting part of F1 !

I hope that BBC do provide a good production, I also love Ken on the course but what worries me is we will only get 3-4 hours viewing and a show presented by Gary Lineker or some other well paid pundit not relevant to golf. I remember Lineker interviewing Lee Westwood at the Masters and Westwoods face was a picture at some of the crazy questions being asked....

Fingers crossed all of my concerns don't come to fruition and BBC provide a great 4 days of coverage.

On the BBC highlights Sunday night, they had a new Scottish lady presenter, Eilidh Barbour.....looks like a (almost) direct swap for Hazel Irvine.  Many will remember I did not like Hazel's performances at all, so much so that I complained with evidence directly to the Head of BBC Sport. Deaf ears of course.

Apparently Eilidh did the PGA back in May, but I didn't notice.  She is a professional presenter who also plays golf, and time will tell if she is up-to-it.  There are too many sycophants in sports interviewing, and the trend is that way, which is in my humble opinion not what good presenting and good broadcast journalism is about. 

I agree that Mr Gary "silly but well paid crisp advert" Lineker doesn't make the grade. Gary was a professional footballer, albeit one of the few with a brain, plays golf, but is lamentable as golf interviewer. However, I don't think he did anything at the PGA....?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Viper said:

so much so that I complained with evidence directly to the Head of BBC Sport. Deaf ears of course

Did you not make the Saturday morning NewsWatch :)

11 hours ago, Viper said:

Gary was a professional footballer, albeit one of the few with a brain, plays golf, but is lamentable as golf interviewer.

Similar that year when they had Michael Vaughan interviewing Tiger Woods.  Nice idea but doesn't quite work.  Anyone you would like to see ? Could Dan Walker present it or do you feel then need someone more ingrained in the game ?

• Like 1

I remember when golf on TV was limited to the BBC and ITV and you only saw the last six holes of each round. The BBC had a dedicated sports crew who did most sporting events but ITV just took local crews. I knew a Yorkshire TV cameraman who would be filming Emmerdale Farm one day, then at Fulford for the B&H the next. ITV did have a dedicated crew for the Horse Racing so with York being televised the same week as Fulford it was simple to put the B&H on the box.

The Open is, or was a big social event too, and the BBC sent pictures all over the world and still have a large presence at The Open (5 live etc).

I read an article this week that said the R&A were unhappy with the "old, outdated presentation" the BBC offered yet Sky showed a 75% drop in viewing figures so it looks like the R&A got that one wrong too.

If you talk to sports enthusiasts and ask where they dream of going, they usually say Wimbledon, British F1 Grand Prix, The Open Golf Championship, a Lord's Test Match, and, a FA Cup Final, Then when you ask why? It's because they first saw them on TV.

On the subject of who fronts the golf. It doesn't matter to me but you need people who know the players and the game doing the interviews.

• Like 2

I am more than happy that BBC have the rights, I just hope like I've said that the coverage is plentiful with presenters, interviewers and in course reporters that know hat they are doing, saying, asking etc. There are plenty of knowledgeable ex and even current golfers out there to give an invaluable insight to the proceedings. Really hope BBC don't go all cheap on the coverage..... 

• Like 1

Evening all, long time lurker first time poster!

We talked about this on the podcast, for me this is last chance saloon for the BBC. I was a big supporter of The Open on the BBC until I reached an epiphany circa 2015. For the first two days of The Open at St Andrews I was in America and watched it on ESPN and NBC I think but don't quote me on that. Here's what's crazy, ESPN (I think) didn't have the rights to show the golf for the first two days but they still did Live From The Open coverage, the wonderful Frank Nobilo discussing golfy things, brilliant preview shows. Meanwhile on the other channel they showed live coverage and they'd Shot Tracked the heck out of the Old Course. Phil hitting the hotel balcony on 17 with a beautiful tracer. I flew back to the UK on the Saturday, thankfully most of the golf had been cancelled that day ;-)

I then watched the golf on the BBC and it was amateur hour. Alliss, who I've admired for a long time, seemed stale. Brown floating ducks down the Swilken. Pithy remarks don't keep the audience anymore. Fast forward to last weekend. Sky Shot Centre, Rickie Fowler playing - and talking- every shot on demand, Jon Rahm doing Seve 4 irons from the bunker, and my favourite, Shot Tracer with map overlay (a Fox innovation). This is the standard for golf broadcasting (incidentally a rival American podcast agrees).

So this is the standard for the BBC to meet. No Lineker interviewing. No Inverdale (the charmed one). Eilidh Barbour gave a good account of herself, get Andrew Cotter as main commentator, Brown, Alliss to chip in and a decent ex-player (Rich Beem incidentally is a revelation.) Pro Trace it, the works. No ducks. BBC this is your last chance.

Edited by FuzzyGolf
speeeeeloing

10 hours ago, FuzzyGolf said:

So this is the standard for the BBC to meet. No Lineker interviewing. No Inverdale (the charmed one). Eilidh Barbour gave a good account of herself, get Andrew Cotter as main commentator, Brown, Alliss to chip in and a decent ex-player (Rich Beem incidentally is a revelation.) Pro Trace it, the works. No ducks. BBC this is your last chance.

The only problem for the BBC will be the expense for them to add innovation for only a couple of tournaments.

This will only be good if the bias BBC show coverage from start to finish and don't spend an hour in the studio before they even show a single shot as they did at the 144th Open and even then didn't change schedule to show last day which had to be played on the Monday due to weather.

6 hrs 'ish each day, starting on red button (online, iplayer etc etc) then on bbc2 for last few hours.

seems fine for me, couldn't care less who introduces it all, etc as that's a good time for toilet break etc. Just wanna watch the golf (and I have sky already, so I'd be watching it anyway)

moving to bt sports for masters will mean even worse viewing figures ... but it appears the owners don't care about viewing figures just the money they earn from selling the rights, as the R&A have already proven with The Open, and now Masters are doing again.

I'm very happy that the BBC will get some live coverage of golf this year, I hoped they might get the Senior Open (really tough weather made for VERY interesting golf) but Sky got that as well.  And I don't agree with tosser Martin Slumbers at the R&A saying that the BBC coverage is 'tired and outdated'.  Having managed to watch some of the Open via a very handy streaming app on holiday in Menorca, the only thing that Sky seem to have over the BBC is some ball tracking thing that you can install on your mobile phone. I hate all the American commentators too, even Nick Faldo is better than most of the Sky lot and he's on the Golf Channel (also on the streaming app).

However, there is still one big problem with golf coverage on the TV these days. 

It's boring (or most of it is anyway)

Firstly, with all the cameras now covering all the holes, why is so much time spent on putting?  It was boring watching Bernhard Langer spend 5 minutes lining up a putt in the 80's and it's still boring now.  No wonder people think it's a boring sport when all you see on TV (when you do get to watch it) is bloody putting.

And as for it being 'Live', the directors of the program determine what we actually see, not what is actually happening.  I noticed it about 20 years ago watching some of the first Sky coverage of the Ryder Cup in the USA.  We were watching in the pub because we couldn't (still can't) afford Sky Sports. As there was so much putting being shown, I started to predict the result of each putt with about 95% accuracy.  My friends asked me how I was doing it; easy I said, long putt goes in, short putt misses. This is still the case (most of the time).  It seems that the more cameras we have on the course, the less we actually see.

Back in the day when they didn't have multiple cameras on each hole, we got to see a lot more of the lesser players (and I don't mean that disrespectfully).  They had to fill the coverage with something, so we got Joe Bloggs from a club down the road who just scraped through qualifying topping a 3 wood into the deep rough.  To me this was much more interesting than seeing McIlroy hit another perfect 97.33 yard wedge into the green.

I've heard they are thinking about 'walk on music' like in Boxing and Darts.  Is that what this great sport has become?

Please TV people, remember the very old golfing adage 'Driving for show and putting for dough'.  You need to review what golfers actually want to see, not what some director who has never even held a golf bat thinks is exciting coverage.

OK, rant over.

p.s. Peter Allis may be getting a little past it, but I love Ken Brown's on course stuff

I've watched a fair bit of the BBC's coverage on the red button, Mrs V has been working late and I've got to say that it has been pretty amateurish stuff, especially when compared to Sky.  They are just entirely relying on the host broadcasters feed, three out of the four or so commentary team only seem to be able to drone on in a monotone drawl and they don't even seem capable of silencing the oh so american dramatic incidental music.  I'm not saying that Sky is perfect, but at least they have Wayne Riley on course at majors to liven it up a a bit.