Sign in to follow this  
TMack

Handicap Question

So I'm 19 and been playing golf years but only recently through the app I've got a handicap. It's currently 13 but coming down quite quickly. I'm looking at entering a few local amateur tournaments and was wondering if my handicap certificate through golf shake is enough to enter or if it would have to be an official certificate through being a member of a club? Also on the applications it asks what club I'm a member at.

Cheers 

Tom

Hi, we provide a 'recognised' handicap which will be accepted by the majority of golf courses as proof of your playing ability and social handicap.

'Official' handicaps are generally accepted to be those issued according to CONGU rules and for which only affiliated golf clubs can provide.   No online service can provide what is deemed as an 'Official' handicap and this can only be obtained by being a member of a golf club affiliated to the national unions and then by playing in regular official golf club competitions.

If you are looking to play in Open event then we always recommend that you contact the course to confirm that our handicap is suitable before you book a tee time.  However by design Open events are for visiting golf club members so these will generally stipulate 'Official' CONGU club handicaps only.

Like I say our handicap is widely accepted and if you need proof of your social handicap and playing ability for access to a course overseas or a course such as the Old Course at St Andrews with handicap restrictions for a general round of golf then generally our handicap will be fine for this purpose.  

If you need any further help, please come back to us.

Kind regards
Golfshake

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By smiles
      Hi, when I started submitting my scores for handicap tracking I didn't enter my starting handicap of 22. I am now trying to re-enter this and recalcualte my handicap accordingly, but when I do it doesn't appear to do anything? I've submitted 5 rounds since tracking on golf shake and it's given me a playing handicap of 25, but if I had started on 22, I wouldn't be this high, especially considering one of the rounds was an 87 gross.
    • By Bramwell
      Hi.....
      I have started a venture called The Golf Hub.  http://thegolfhub.net where I am collecting golf tuition and information about golf professionals that have a presence on the www.
      I hope that one day Darren will be kind enough to place a link on Golf shake to it.
      Please take a look and tell me how I should structure it.
    • By northernpete
      Good evening,
      I have been a social golfer for a few years now and decided to join a club for the first time this January so I could get   competition CONGU handicap. The pro in our shop as told me I need to hand in the 3 supplementary cards to get my initial handicap along with £3. £1 per card. Is this common practice? I always thought that when you joined a club  any fees towards a handicap were part of the membership.
    • By Scuba17
      We (Harlow Hill Golf Society) are a relatively new (2 years old) golf society, predominantly based out of North/West Yorkshire, however, we do have a couple of members based in Scotland and the Midlands. We originally set up as a group of friends, following retirement from an amateur football team, Harlow Hill FC in Harrogate. The natural order of things took place and we now try to find our successes, failures, delights and frustrations on the Golf course as opposed to the football field.
      We have had 14 members in our first 2 years but are looking to build on this and are keen to recruit anyone looking to play some semi regular golf within a society outside of a club environment. We have a good range of golfers, mainly at the higher end of the scale, ranging from 16 through to 28 and a couple still learning. We try to promote fairly regular games/matches with cup competitions and aim for 2 trips a year, either domestically or abroad.
      Any interest please let me know and I'd happy to share more info.
      Thanks
      Steve
    • By Borolad57
      Can anyone tell me if the Golfshake website has been modified to reflect the maximum handicap changes that were introduced at the start of 2018?