Mavisto

Open Championship Ticket Prices

I decided to have a look at how much it would be to watch some golf at the Open.  Having said that, I can't go, but I was interested in the prices anyway.

I went to the main ticket page on their website and it says quite clearly that daily tickets are (and I quote) 'Championship days from £65'.  I thought that it's a bit pricey for standing around (it only cost that much for the whole week at the 1987 Ryder Cup). 

I click on the link which forwards me to the buy tickets page and guess what

Championship Days

Thursday 20 July 2017                 Adult from: £75

Youth from: £35

Where does it say £65?  Non of the days have advertised prices of £65.  To me this is almost fraud.  One advertised price on one page, and the actual price you pay on another.

I thought that after Sky had bought the rights(and I don't like their american style coverage either) I thought you might have got better value.

As you can tell this sort of stuff really winds me up.

The R&A grade the ticket prices as you get nearer the Championship. Before 28 Feb, is the cheapest and after 1st Jun full price. It is cheaper to get a weekly ticket by far, £255 for seven days.

not exactly encouraging non golfers to book with those prices. Especially as golf in England is in decline

Edited by lmc
spelling

20 hours ago, TheLyth said:

The R&A grade the ticket prices as you get nearer the Championship. Before 28 Feb, is the cheapest and after 1st Jun full price. It is cheaper to get a weekly ticket by far, £255 for seven days.

That's not really the point.  It says on the main page, 'from £65'.  But you cannot buy one at that price.  It doesn't say that I had to buy one before the 1st June to get one at £65.

2 hours ago, lmc said:

not exactly encouraging non golfers to book with those prices. Especially as golf in England is in decline

Overpriced tickets and no golf on terrestrial TV.  I can only see golf in the UK declining even further.  I read an article on line that the viewing figures from last years Open, BBC2 highlights program got 4 times as many viewers as the main Sky program.

Not a happy bunny.

8 minutes ago, Mavisto said:

Overpriced tickets and no golf on terrestrial TV.  I can only see golf in the UK declining even further.  I read an article on line that the viewing figures from last years Open, BBC2 highlights program got 4 times as many viewers as the main Sky program.

Not a happy bunny.

If you think that to start playing golf with an average set up its about £1000 all in. The golf industry doe not seem to be very forward thinking. And not many clubs hire sets and if they do they are either so damaged you couldn't hit anything are the hire cost is very high.

23 hours ago, Mavisto said:

That's not really the point.  It says on the main page, 'from £65'.  But you cannot buy one at that price.  It doesn't say that I had to buy one before the 1st June to get one at £65.

Which site? I have had a look at the Official site and can't see 'from £65'. I do know that you get a £5 discount for paying with a MasterCard.

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 09:55, lmc said:

The number of people that used to turn up at our 9hole Muni in Leeds after an Open wanting to "give it a go" after watching the BBC coverage was crazy.

43 minutes ago, TheLyth said:

Which site? I have had a look at the Official site and can't see 'from £65'. I do know that you get a £5 discount for paying with a MasterCard.

The main Open site

http://www.theopen.com/Tickets

Third column "Daily Tickets" first bullet point, Championship Days from £65