sdparkes66    7

Hey All,

Before I start, I love drones and am not against them in any way, I have 2 ..

HOWEVER, I see on youTube the likes of Rick Shiels, Peter Finch etc, the use or drones more and more, which gives some awesome views and perspectives..

I am worried that these guys are not appropriately insured or trained by a recognised body (BMFA)..  Also, the heights I've seen them flying are way above the recommended/legal limits (above clouds = out of sight)..

Being as they state being professional YouTubers they are operating drones for commercial work, and thereby need to be aware of the rules and regulations : http://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Aircraft/Unmanned-aircraft/Unmanned-Aircraft/

Why am I bringing this up, a few reasons, the possibility of endangering Aircraft (people on board), 3rd party injury, ruining the flight of these by others who do it as a hobby within the guidelines and the personal loss by themselves if they get nicked...

Whats your thoughts, remember, I like drones, I have drones, am not against their use..

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Model-aircraft-and-drones/Flying-drones/

Viper    18

As is often the case with new things, no one will behave themselves until the first person gets prosecuted and heavily punished, and shown in over-the-top TV news items nationwide. That's what happens historically; remember how early Court cases about mobile phones used in cars featured highly on the news?  

I just hope it's not an aircraft crash event.

sdparkes66    7
On 22/07/2017 at 22:15, Viper said:

I just hope it's not an aircraft crash event.

It will take a near miss, or in ingestion to cause a clamp down I think. 

Rob Nutt    48

there has already been near misses reported, 

Anyway, more importantly

How are Amazon going to deliver my new king size bed with their drone delivery service, 

Veravista    8

Still not convinced about the dangers of aircraft being hit by drones, especially the engines.  How much does one weigh?  Maybe some of the heavier ones will be quite a weight, but your average leisure version?  I know for a fact that an engine can ingest a 2 kg duckling travelling at Mach 0.9 and still keep going so I can't imagine a kilo of plastic doing a huge amount of damage....

FuzzyGolf    0

I would hope that serious users like Shiels and 4golfonline have been on the CAA courses but who knows.

The sad truth is there will be a drone strike on an aircraft in the next two years, maybe less. This is based on the number of near misses in the last 24 months. Until the CAA do something about it, near misses will continue until there is a hit. When the drone hits, chances are it'll miss the engines and most likely take out a leading edge or radardome. If one does get ingested by an engine, modern turbofans will mange to push it to the bypass and it'll miss the core. Best case it'll only nick a few blades. Worst case, some blades will detach, the engine will be out of balance and need to shut down. A bit of an annoyance but the plane will make it down safely. (Actually worst case it'll make it to the core, take out a compressor and that'll penetrate the wing and a fuel leak but that's lottery odds.)

It's a risk planes don't need so don't take them into controlled airspace and remain VFR. But in the meantime, I think they're a brilliant invention and I love seeing the footage on YouTube.