Golfshake Editor

What's the Most Scenic Course You've Played?

Looking at the spectacular and breathtaking Lofoten Links in Norway - situated 100 miles inside the Arctic Circle - it got me thinking of some of the most scenic courses that I've played, and how did they compare with that incredible place. Fair to say that I haven't seen anything else quite like it!

I'll forever have a warm attachment to Bute Golf Club, which was the formative course in my life. In terms of a setting and the tranquility, it's a real personal one for me.

20.jpg

So, what is the most spectacular or scenic (maybe even strangely located) course that you've played?

23 hours ago, Matt Holbrook said:

For me this is easy. 

Kings Course at Gleneagles.  <3

Good choice! 

Not the monstrosity that is the PGA Centenary.

22 hours ago, moscow01 said:

Dalmunzie always has a special place in my heart. Not the best golf course in the world but the views are something else. I've written about it here - 

https://patrickbaines.com/2017/03/22/my-favourite-golf-course/

Excellent! There are a number of stunning courses in northern Perthshire. Pitlochry stands out in my mind. It's not always about the "quality" of a course, but the experience that it provides you. That's what I'm like with Bute GC. It feels uniquely special to me.

I was a member in my early golfing days at Broadway in the Cotswolds - on a clear day you can see across the Severn Valley and seven counties to the Black Mountains in Wales. I remember playing the 7th hole and looking DOWN into the cockpit of an RAF jet! The 7th tee at Goodwood is pretty good - all the way to Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight, Chichester harbour, and behind you the roof of the racecourse stand. Since then the views out to sea by the lighthouse at Turnberry, and the Links course at Belle Mare Plage in Mauritius, plus the Tousserok course on its private island. Isn't this what we play golf for (partly)? Of course, the views from the 2nd fairway, 11th and 17th tees (and the clubhouse balcony with a pint in hand as the sun goes down) at my own club, Royal Winchester, are very special!

For me it has to be Traigh Golf Club in Scotland ............................ by far !!

.................... and what a gorgeous little clubhouse too.

Edited by Slime