Sign in to follow this  
Forum Admin

Welcome handicap to stop cheats from official bodies ?

It's a minefield.

If you start to adjust Hcp's from all Four Ball scores you will see entries drop. I know of many guys who play away in Four Ball Comps and do well because of the Hcp mix (a 6 with a 15 etc.)

If it is done properly it will work though. Some years ago in Leeds, a Club refused to take into account scores that were 'away from home' so a guy wins a Comp with a Nett 48 and turns up for a Team Match ten days later off the same Hcp.

TheLyth

I guess it was about the time that a some clubs in north east Leeds had an 'arrangement' barring a couple of players from a 'certain' club because of their winning all the open 4BBBs without ever seeing a handicap reduction over about 4 years.

But this is not about handicap adjustment as a direct result of competition but to supplement the information available to the hcap sec relating to his own players' general performance at his club. It is just another piece of information to be used at annual review. I see it being used when qualifying scores don't provide a full picture.

The scores being returned are of course the total for the team. No information about hole scores or number of holes where a contribution was made is recorded or reported.

• Like 1

I think that 'my club' when I was in Leeds had one of these players. We all knew what was going on but our Hcp Team wouldn't use Rule 19 (as General Play was then).

On the other hand we had several members who were perfect partners for Four Balls & Am-Ams. Their own ability was right for their Hcp but they would listen to a better player who would also line their putts up for them. 

On one occasion, one of these guys partnered me in a West Yorkshire Alliance at Otley GC and we came in with a 62. You could hear the muttering in the Clubhouse until I went up to receive the Individual Prize with a 66 Gross (off scratch of course). The problem for us was that we had been told to give the Amateur the Press Boost as they paid for the day, so in the paper they secured birdies when I had already got it. This caused other Clubs to question our integrity. It wasn't our fault that other clubs didn't follow our way of playing the game. 

There are people out there that are willing to go to any lengths to win something.

At my own club, the same people seem to do well in every competition.  But they have been playing off the same handicap for years!

I also know one person who plays in comps and will put in 'NR' just so their handicap will go up 0.1. 

They even work out how many extra 0.1s they can get in before their next 'Open competition', just to get their handicap up that extra shot.

Every golf club must have these people as members.

And, I find, the bigger the prize the more they are willing to do to win.

Affiliated Clubs have the discretion under Clauses 23 and 24 of the UHS to deal with a player
who persistently submits incomplete cards or makes ‘no returns’..

Probably a stupid suggestion but what about giving all holes that are blobs or NR the equivilent of a net bogie or 1 spabelford point just for the adjustment of a handicap. IE man A returns 36 pts with 3 blobs and wins the comp and keeps his handicap intact.

My suggestion would be he still scores 36 pts for the comp but gets 39pts for his handicap and pos a 3x 0.4 deduction. ( depend on CAT ).

CAC 

• Like 1

My friend regularly enters a comp and doesn't tee it up, just nr's and signs his card !!! Luckily they started to disqualify him in the end. 

Burn or bust in other comps but at least he teed it up #Tool 

On 3/7/2017 at 10:49, TheLyth said:

If you start to adjust Hcp's from all Four Ball scores you will see entries drop.

Of course it is not proposed that handicaps are adjusted directly from these returns. They are only to be used as supporting (or otherwise) information at Annual Review time. 

Not really different from results in internal competitions where the handicap committee have much 'local knowledge'.

Note that matchplay is specifically excluded, with good reason.

Edited by AAA