Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Golfshake Editor

Can Sergio Win a Major?

4 posts in this topic

How great was Sergio in Dubai? Leading from start to finish. He's now 37, and showing that there is still millage in his career. But the big question is, can he FINALLY win a major? Every year, I keep saying it, and he continually lets me down. But I believe that this could just be his time. 

Last month, I predicted that Garcia would win the Open at Birkdale. That was long before the Desert Classic. So, I've stuck my neck out. Don't let me down, Sergio!

Sure he can win one. If he has the lowest score over 4 days.

A few years ago If you beat Tiger then you were on your way to a Major. Alas now its a bit different, There is now half a doz top players like Day, Spieth, Rory and Dustbin. Others not to discount are Mastsuyama, Justin Thomas and Rose, Stenson, Bubba, To name but a few. Golf has never been as exciting as it now is with a genuine really open field. Not to name Garcia who would be a popular Major winner. CAC.

Any of the Worlds top 50 are capable of winning a major, some that are lower ranked also.

Some years ago Jack Nicklaus was asked about the size of a Masters Field against the other Majors, his answer was that half the field in the 'others' knew they couldn't win and were going to enjoy the experience while 98% of the Masters field could win.

Sergio was unlucky at Carnoustie, so he can win a Major.

2 hours ago, TheLyth said:

Any of the Worlds top 50 are capable of winning a major, some that are lower ranked also.

Some years ago Jack Nicklaus was asked about the size of a Masters Field against the other Majors, his answer was that half the field in the 'others' knew they couldn't win and were going to enjoy the experience while 98% of the Masters field could win.

Sergio was unlucky at Carnoustie, so he can win a Major.

In theory, you could argue that the Masters is the "easiest" of the bunch to win. Providing, that is, the player feels comfortable at Augusta National. Field is usually around 90-95, and you can automatically discount about ten former champions, and a handful of champions. Suddenly it becomes a competitive tournament of around 75. And how many of those guys feel they can win there? 

For Sergio, considering his record, I feel that the Open is the one he's most likely to win. He's more than capable, but than can only take you so far. Securing a major victory would be the validation of an excellent career that still has many years left.