Chris P

Minchinhampton 36 Hole Comp 2017

Forum Admin    45
On 25/03/2017 at 15:50, sdparkes66 said:

looking forward to it, hills am ok with, water, does seem to attract me..  Chips !!! 

You will love it.  Really good fun and 2 lovely courses.

Wabinez    2

Soooo.anyone getting hotels at all? Cirencester town centre looks a decent shout. A drive home afterwards was hard work, so tempted to stay the Friday evening

Chris P    34

I would recommend Premier Inn in Stroud. Attached to a Brewers Fayre for evening meal/breakfast and only a 5 min walk to Stroud town centre if you fancy a night out (decent night out on Friday). Only 10 mins from the course and the closest hotel

Wabinez    2
26 minutes ago, Chris P said:

I would recommend Premier Inn in Stroud. Attached to a Brewers Fayre for evening meal/breakfast and only a 5 min walk to Stroud town centre if you fancy a night out (decent night out on Friday). Only 10 mins from the course and the closest hotel

Has the Stroud one changed? Looks completely different to when I stayed there last time!

edit - was looking at ropey photos! 

Edited by Wabinez

Chris P    34
10 hours ago, John F said:

Chris,

can I request a hot sunny day please :)

Well Darren is involved soooo......

Chris P    34

Morning everyone

Just over five weeks until this comp now and just a small number of places left.  There's a couple who have expressed interest and not put their name down yet (looking at you Darren Ram!) and I need to confirm the numbers to the club two weeks before the comp.  If you'd like to play there's still time to get your name down and play two of the best courses in Gloucestershire (one is an Open qualifying course, the other is used for South West and inter-county matches).  You can register here

As a side note, I have played both the courses in the last few days.  The recent rain has brought the courses to life and they are both in great condition.  The greens are running quick and true, the fairways are green and lush and (unfortunately) if you are offline it is popping up and thickening.  They're both a pleasure to play but a challenge at the same time

Chris P    34

Just as a point of interest for those of you playing in this comp (and those thinking about it), the members have just received the following email from the club

• Minchinhampton Golf Club in conjunction with the R&A is pleased to announce that the club will once again play host to an Open Championship Regional Qualifying Competition in 2018 and annually up to and including the year 2022.

So after the mandatory break (you're only allowed to hold qualifying for 7 years max then a minimum 7 year break) Minchinhampton is back on The Open qualifying rota next year. Hope you all think it's worth it

• Like 1

Rob Nutt    48

Wishing everyone a safe journey. If you forget anything tomorrow I hope it's your swing, Darren has donated some great prizes, and I would be more than happy to take some home with me :)

• Like 1

Chris P    34

Looking forward to see you all there. Just sorting out the final prep and getting into my zen place fo the game

• Like 1

Veravista    8

Good luck to everyone, have a good day.  Would love to be there but will be thinking of you as I jet off to the sun later...

• Like 1

Rob Nutt    48

Once again the golf let me down

Two great courses, complete opposites too IMO, One very much heathland and the other parkland, both giving the handicap golfer plenty to ponder whilst standing over the ball.

Ably assisted by Jo, Chris once again made the day run like clockwork. 

Thanks to my PP for the day Shaun and Mark, 

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to my pal Ian for driving

Chris P    34

Thanks to everyone who came along today, hope you all enjoyed it.  Well done to John Flood for the overall win with the best score on both courses.  The final standings are below, hope to see you all back next year

Stableford Score
      Avening Cherington Total
1   John Flood 37 40 77
2   James Minards 34 35 69
3   Lee Nightingale 30 36 66
4   Stuart Laws 35 30 65
5   Dave Homer 32 31 63
6   Justin Goodby 30 33 63
7   Chris Perry 32 30 62
8   Daniel Alvarez 35 26 61
9   Ian Hodgkins 35 25 60
10   Dave Ley 23 36 59
11   Martin Flemings 31 26 57
12   Steve Johnson 31 26 57
13   Rich Garner 29 26 55
14   Matt Wabe 28 23 51
15   Shaun Bethell 30 21 51
16   James Wilson 28 23 51
17   Wayne Dunn 26 24 50
18   Mark Drew 26 23 49
19   Robert Nutt 21 25 46
20   Phil Eadsforth 0 28 28
21   Jonathan Wheeler NR NR NR

• Like 1

Ricey155    56

Sounds like a great day, I hope you run it in 2018 I'll be down for sure :-) 

Well played all, what handicap did the winner play off? 

John F    9

It was a great day & the courses were in good nick.

Played off my official club handicap of 14. 

• Like 1

Chris P    34

Forgot to post the spot prize winners.  They are 

• Nearest the Pin (Avening 6th) - James Minards
  • Longest Drive (Avening 16th) - Stuart Laws
  • Nearest the Pin (Cherington 7th) - Dave Ley 
  • Nearest the Pin in Two (Cherington 14th) - Daniel Alvarez

John F    9

Chris,

I've already handed in 3 cards to the club pro asking to be cut on general play. Hopefully end of year review will sort it.