Forum Admin

Do you read the free clubhouse golf mags ?

We have Golf News in the clubhouse, good thing is you don't even need to carry one home as you can get the same mag online to view on tablet etc.

There's 2 in our clubhouse, one is golf news (large), the other I can't remember, smaller size.

AND one specifically for the ladies.

If I've read it I don't take it, but if I haven't I take it home.

My Daughter collect the ladies golfer magazine. To be honest for a free magazine it's great. It's got actual interviews and tips in it rather than the ones you pay for like todays golfer that are just one big infomercial!!

On 20/12/2016 at 13:55, uncle chop chp said:

My Daughter collect the ladies golfer magazine. To be honest for a free magazine it's great. It's got actual interviews and tips in it rather than the ones you pay for like todays golfer that are just one big infomercial!!

Never a truer word spoken in jest. Almost all paid for golf magazines are sycophantic mouthpieces for the golf equipment industry.  I've never , in 40 years, seen a criticism of any equipment.  Unfortunately, some of the articles in the freebies are also nothing more than adverts.

It's actually worse than that sometimes; one the smaller electric golf trolley manufacturers once told me, when I enquired as to why they weren't in a test comparison article, that this particular golf magazine wanted a fee to include their item, as well as a free trolley!  No fee, no inclusion in the test. That's blackmail.

This has long been a bugbear of mine.  I understand the manufacturers position in as much as they want to avoid any bad reviews, the need to protect their reputations and the overriding need to sell ever increasing amounts of equipment to us punters, but, and it's a big but, I feel that the point has been reached where they have become hyper critical to any criticism - and that only benefits them and not us.  You only need to see most reviews of the latest drivers.  Why do they categorise them into budget, mid range and premium?  Simply because if a £90 Dunlop driver is just as good as a £300 Callaway they're going to be pissed off - even worse if it outperforms it.  

Not really a relevance to the OP, but I would love to see a Which? style mag for equipment, with the magazine buying the kit and independently testing it.  Oh to dream..  

• Like 1

Some interesting feedback. Thanks!

On 28/12/2016 at 23:21, Veravista said:

This has long been a bugbear of mine.  I understand the manufacturers position in as much as they want to avoid any bad reviews, the need to protect their reputations and the overriding need to sell ever increasing amounts of equipment to us punters, but, and it's a big but, I feel that the point has been reached where they have become hyper critical to any criticism - and that only benefits them and not us.  You only need to see most reviews of the latest drivers.  Why do they categorise them into budget, mid range and premium?  Simply because if a £90 Dunlop driver is just as good as a £300 Callaway they're going to be pissed off - even worse if it outperforms it.  

Not really a relevance to the OP, but I would love to see a Which? style mag for equipment, with the magazine buying the kit and independently testing it.  Oh to dream..  

@Veravista some of the Youtube Pros are trying to do this - 'independent' reviews but not sure if they are still 100% independent without interference. Interestingly one of the big print mags is focused on this in 2017 but we will see.

On 28/12/2016 at 23:21, Veravista said:

My criticism in my post is of the magazine in question, as well as all magazines that follow the bad procedure I described:

If a magazine is doing any review, it should purchase the subject goods anonymously and test. They should not be warning, requesting nor demanding anything of the supplier, as that's bullying, blackmail and fraud.  However, it appears that almost all magazines, free or paid, are nothing more than golf industry mouthpieces.

The more I think about this, the more I am inclined to contact all the relevant government departments that regulate trade, press and consumer affairs....

53 minutes ago, darrenram said:

Some interesting feedback. Thanks!

@Veravista some of the Youtube Pros are trying to do this - 'independent' reviews but not sure if they are still 100% independent without interference. Interestingly one of the big print mags is focused on this in 2017 but we will see.

I've never seen a YouT*** Pro criticize anything.

This goes along with the pointless mag articles and forum topics about  "what is wrong/is there anything wrong with golf?".  There is nothing wrong with the sport of golf, but there are lots of courses and equipment manufacturers winging (wrongly) on about how bad the sales into golf are. Well, I don't care what the sales are in golf, I play golf for fun and sport, not to support a bloated, profit-seeking industry, that overpays players as well, and lies to try and sell me a new driver/irons/ball/glove/trolley every 6 months.

• Like 1

I'm with viper, seems these days after Nike floating away from club making, the Nike staffers are still using the kit for free ? 

Sell,sell,sell and Rory got paid £80 million for 10 yrs plenty of Chinese t shirts at 50p to flog for £50. 

Marketing, the bigger and better world concept, live in debt on credit etc. 

Yes I read the free mags :-) especially the midland golfer.