daz in dorset

New clubs lie

11 posts in this topic

Hi I just got some new irons an there 2 degree flat compared to my last ones which was 1.5 degree flat does that half a degree make much difference as I'm not hitting  new clubs as well as my old ones thx 

Hi Daz. 

First question is did you get fitted for them?? 

The likelyhood is it won't make a massive amount of difference but without knowing if you have been fitted for them properly by a pro and knowing a little more about your golf it's difficult to tell. 

Sort of was fitted for first set by my club pro I then bought new set of him an was told he would use my last fitting for new clubs but he got lie half a degree out plus shafts quater of inch shorter too hope this makes sense

If he is a half decent pro he should offer a loft a lie check for you. Regardless of how long between the first and second set. 

Give him a bell and get yourself booked in.

Cheers  matt I will see him next time I'm at club as he's  still the pro there an take it from there thx  for your help 

If your shafts are shorter this will affect lie, I may be corrected but from what I recall +1/4 inch in lengths adds 1 degree up roughly. so if your irons are 1/2" shorter they will play 2 degrees flatter. Add in the other 0.5 degree your now 1/2" shorter and 2.5 degrees flatter.

I'd speak to your pro, It may be that he has gt them set up correctly. Different clubs all have different lies, so you may have only needed 1.5 degrees compared to the old clubs, the new shafts could also be longer

Looks odd to me a pro would use your last fitting stats to fit these clubs but got the shaft length wrong and the lie wrong. are you sure they were not just off the rack. What part of your last fitting did he get correct ? I would have thought a new set of clubs , if you want them fitted would need to be properly fitted at the time of purchase. Swings can change over time so a new fitting should be req. IMO.

Hi I need a new suit. Tailor OK ill use your old measurements from last time you bought a suit. Am I reading this wrong.? CAC.

Might sound a bit controversial, but getting a club pro to do fitting is, in my opinion, a bit like getting a taxi driver to give you driving lessons.  OK, an exaggeration, but not always too far wide of the mark. Many years ago I had my clubs built by a proper club builder, he used his years of experience to get a set that were tailor made for me and my swing then (or so I thought*) and after I'd used them a few times took them back and we discussed what needed to be done to fit me even better.  It took me a long time to get used to them but they are perfect.  He's kept my file and when I damaged the 7 iron he had the exact shaft measurements to fit a new one (they're Nissins, generally only come in sets).  He's also corrected many sets of nearly new clubs that had been fitted for clients but weren't anywhere near the correct spec (some from the Belfry pro shop).  Most of them come from Golf barns though.

Well worth trying to find a local club builder and get them checked - although it's worth noting that cast heads can't generally be tweaked more than once, they break. Probably not as expensive as you'd think either.

* He later admitted to me that he'd actually overspecified the shafts because he thought I'd get there eventually 

Much like any industry, you will get good, bad and average pros. Some are highly knowledgeable about club fitting and care a lot about getting you the right gear, some just want to shift gear. That is the nature of things. Seeing a clubmaker is a really good choice and they will be able to take customisation to a level that many pros cannot. If you are having lessons and changing your swing there can be a definite advantage to having your coach help with the fitting process, either doing the fitting himself if it is something that he can do to the right level or giving you information to pass on to a fitter or club builder. That way you will be able to build in any short to medium term adjustments that are needed to your set. 

Your swing could change in the time you had your last fitting and now.  So your pro should have checked your lie with your new clubs.  Many of the golf superstores will check your clubs for you.  Might be worth you going along and seeing what they find!

There will also be a difference between brands in shaft lengths and lie angles, pings 2 degrees upright may be 1 degree upright for Mizuno. 1/2" longer or shorter may just be standard for other manufacturers. Taylormade wood and driver shafts are always long.

As has been said get a lie check done, i your a member of american golf you get a fee yearly club MOT where they check that stuff for you. Obvioulsy they will try and sell you something but just ignoe them.