Bob Smith

Why is Golfshake so hung up on Stableford points?

Yet again their system ignores a score of 88 gross,  because it only got me 39 S/F points! In my whole golfing life to date (only been playing circa 4 years) having started from scratch age 60+, I have only hit sub 90 4 times now (3 fairly recently denoting a significant improvement). However, when I look at my supposed best scores, this particular 88 is missing, as I had several 90+ rounds with 40 or more S/F points. there is even a 92 showing!

This is a total nonsense, as those rounds were mostly scored when I had a much higher h/c. thus much easier to score S/F points, as multiple holes with 2 shots! Surely the number of strokes taken to complete a round of golf has got to be the MORE significant factor, in determining what constitutes a good or better round? I don't ever see any mention of Stableford scoring in the professional game, it's medal play off scratch for gross = net scores wins! So why does Golfshake place so much more importance on this alternative scoring system, when it clearly doesn't necessarily show the best actual result?

Having personally benefitted several times from a high handicap, allowing me to score lots of s/f points when I have a good day, I know that this artificial scoring system allows me to have a couple of bad holes for nil points, but I can still gather several 2 and 3 pointers on the other holes, to come in with a decent total, and maybe win. but my medal score for that round if I actually holed out every hole, would probably be uncompetitive in a medal competition! 

When you only have an 84, 86 and 2 x 88s to your name, even an 88 is very significant to me!    

Ahh! Mr Viper, I guess you are a much lower h/c than me, thus are probably "expecting or expected" to be scoring sub 80 or better? So for you a sub 90, but over 80, probably attracts a h/c increase! Which returns me to an earlier post about whether h/cs should be based on AVERAGE scores, rather than the lowest score you ever manage to achieve, once in a blue moon, with pink polka dot spots! 

17 hours ago, Bob Smith said:

Ahh! Mr Viper, I guess you are a much lower h/c than me, thus are probably "expecting or expected" to be scoring sub 80 or better? So for you a sub 90, but over 80, probably attracts a h/c increase! Which returns me to an earlier post about whether h/cs should be based on AVERAGE scores, rather than the lowest score you ever manage to achieve, once in a blue moon, with pink polka dot spots! 

Ahh! Mr Bob, sadly not. My H/C is 21.  However, in the last 5½ years, I have had scores below 90 and they are all still in my Authenticated history (see below), with some S/F points over 39.  I am also pretty certain that I didn't achieve my sub 90 score whilst wearing my pink polka dot bikini...  Are you sure you are entering your gross scores correctly?  Are you Authenticating them?

Handicaps are not based on the lowest score ever achieved, but all of your scores with a bias to your most recent scores based on complex rules and mathematics.  One could call it a "hybrid" system.
In my case I almost always play "Stroke Play", but that shouldn't effect my H/C because I think the handicapping system ignores scores over 2 over Par. But for personal reasons I want to know not just how good I was on a round, but how bad I was too. 

09-Sep-2015

Golf Club

Kent

White

24-Jul-2013

Golf Club

Kent

Yellow

28-Feb-2013

Golf Club

Kent

Yellow

04-Oct-2012

Golf Club

Kent

yellow

24-Sep-2012

Golf Club

Kent

yellow

22-Aug-2012

Golf Club

Kent

yellow

13-Aug-2012

Golf Club

Kent

yellow

01-Aug-2012

Golf Club

Kent

yellow

21-Jul-2012

Golf Club

Kent

yellow

30-May-2012

Golf Club

Kent

yellow

19-May-2012

Golf Club

Kent

yellow

HI guys, 

If you are tracking for handicap, that will automatically 'in effect' change your score to stapleford. This happens on Golfshake and via the CONGU system. It is just the way the system is designed to work in the UK. The US will take an average of your past recent rounds and Europe another system and then Australia another system. The world's governing bodies are working towards a worldwide system which we will see in 5-10 years and will likely be based more on the US system than the UK. 

There is more information on how your handicaps are calculated on Golfshake here: 

http://www.golfshake.com/golfhandicap/#handicapcalculator

I hope that helps.