Chris P

Who Can Recommend a Hand Held GPS?

I'm looking to replace my GPS and as Christmas is coming the good lady has offered to get me one. I'm currently using a Golfbuddy Platinum II and it's been great. I've had it for 4 years now but it's developed a glitch where it will go through a random period (could be hours, days or a couple of weeks) where it won't pick up satellite signal so a convenient time to upgrade

I don't like wearing a watch when I play and I quite like having the hole layout on the screen so I'm looking at a hand held.  What do you recommend? Also, what do you have experience of you think I should avoid?

9 hours ago, Viper said:

FreeCaddie on your smartphone.

It's free.

FREE.

Did I mention it's free?

Yep can't fault it.  I've had a few occassions when I've forgot to charge my GPS watch and have been saved by a quick install of freecaddie.  Shame I rely so much on data for distances and no longer use my eyes !!   :)

On 23/11/2016 at 09:00, Forum Admin said:

@Chris P not much choice really if you like the visual maps.  Best option is probably the SkyCaddie is you want accuracy and don't want one of the smartphone app based products.

I don't use a GPS for visual maps, that's what the Course guide is for. I use the GPS for the distances from wherever my ball is, that's what it's ideal for.

23 hours ago, Viper said:

I don't use a GPS for visual maps, that's what the Course guide is for. I use the GPS for the distances from wherever my ball is, that's what it's ideal for.

I played an away match recently and asked to buy a course planner in the pro shop. They told me they don't sell them anymore as so many people have GPS now they don't buy them. Bit of a shame for me as I try to buy one whenever I play a new course and collect them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris P said:

I played an away match recently and asked to buy a course planner in the pro shop. They told me they don't sell them anymore as so many people have GPS now they don't buy them. Bit of a shame for me as I try to buy one whenever I play a new course and collect them

I agree, it's a shame, and I sympathize.

What is the best phone based gps app for showing your distances to holes, course guides etc?

Its key that it allows you to preload the course maps so I am not stuck where there is no 3g/4g data signal.

Thanks

59 minutes ago, Rigsby said:

What is the best phone based gps app for showing your distances to holes, course guides etc?

Its key that it allows you to preload the course maps so I am not stuck where there is no 3g/4g data signal.

Thanks

FreeCaddie is what you are looking for.

It's free. You load the course (and it stays until you change it) you are going to play before you loose 3G/4G, preferably at home on your WiFi. I set my phone to "Airplane Mode" at the course, and it still works. On my phone "Airplane Mode" does not disable GPS reception.

Gives distances to front, middle and back. But that's all it does.

FreeCaddie is what you are looking for.

3 hours ago, Chris P said:

Try the new Motocaddy app. Friend of mine uses it and finds it really good

Just been looking at the MotoCaddie one on an android device. Is fully-featured and free, so looks very good. However, it appears to load the course once at the start of the round, so needs this doing for the first hole before mobile/wifi signal is lost. There doesn't appear to be a favourite nor saving feature.

So if you have a problem with the app on the course and have to restart it, you won't get the course back without a signal. A bit surprised there are places without a signal, but I suppose it must occasionally happen. Freecaddie saves the course on the phone until you change it.

Idea: load them both, Freecaddie basic free and Motocaddy free; after all, they are free!

(I've just emailed Freecaddie to ask them to make the "Pro" version free because the Motocaddy one if free; I'm not holding my breath)

Fill your boots with apps 

Hole19, pinseekerz, freecaddie, game golf. I like hole19 for course pictures layout. I like pinseekerz for the under armour league, and freecaddie was excellent even paid up in 2008 on windows op. 

Try them all there free which is best :-) 

Okay.
Well, having reviewed all the suggestions on here, I'd like to give my honest opinion.

Based on the need to work without a WiFi nor E/3G/4G signal I'd recommend Freecaddie basic free, for 2 main reasons; no signal needed, other than GPS, and no signin/signup needed. The only caveat is that there is no green nor hazard guide on the free version.

Happy to discuss.

On 20/05/2017 at 17:01, Viper said:

Okay.
Well, having reviewed all the suggestions on here, I'd like to give my honest opinion.

Based on the need to work without a WiFi nor E/3G/4G signal I'd recommend Freecaddie basic free, for 2 main reasons; no signal needed, other than GPS, and no signin/signup needed. The only caveat is that there is no green nor hazard guide on the free version.

Happy to discuss.

Update:  since I changed to an Android Phone, the Freecaddie free basic now includes hazards and score entry.

However..... I can't find a way to save this card, nor send it to my profile!  Furthermore, I also cannot see a way to "reset" the scores before my next round.  

Errrrrrrrrrrrrr this might not be the best place to look for what you need.  Survey grade kit needs to be very accurate and sounds very expensive at the moment.  Furthermore, unless you can get something that can use the USA military encryption channel you'll not get the accuracy I think you are looking for.  My mobile can give elevation via many different App's, but just like location, it's often + - 10 to 30 feet. That's not good enough I suspect.  See link for detail:

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-any-difference-between-military-GPS-data-and-civilians-in-terms-of-accuracy

You could try searching the internet; I made a quick search and found nothing with a greater accuracy than 0.5 m in any dimension.  That's about 18 inches in old money.  Search the internet.