Pricey1878

Robin Hood Golf Club, Solihull

Pricey1878    9

Has anyone ever been a member at Robin Hood Golf Club? I know the reviews of the course are fantastic and looking around it myself Ive been really impressed. I was wondering what the experience was or even is if youre currently a member! I understand all golf clubs have some cliques but on the whole is it a friendly club? Do the members welcome new people and look to engage them both to play golf with and socially? Are kids welcomed into the club as they should technically be members for years to come.

Ricey155    56

A fine choice on venue, sorry can't help with the other info required !!

Like most clubs its a punt unless your joining with a group, is it your local ? As there's lot around the area

Pricey1878    9

Ricey, Thank you for the reply.

Its the closest private club to me, I was previously a member at Hollywood but am looking at Robin Hood as I know the pro and asst pro and its very convenient for me to get to. There's Olton, Edgbaston and Moseley a little further away but I think Robin Hood holds the advantage for me.

Im looking to join with my 12 year old so obviously a heads up on what to expect is always useful from people already there.

I know they've invested a tremendous amount of cash in the course and will be upgrading the locker room within 12 months, seems plenty of positive things going on there.

Edited by Pricey1878
addition of paragraph
  • Like 1

Ricey155    56

The pro moved from Hollywood, the old pro at Oakridge took over. Sounds like your pretty much made your mind up, what do they offer for the kids ?? I like what Maxstoke offer kids play for free with full paying adult, great touch !! 

Olton is a lovely track not played the other 2, I guess Copt Heath, Frilford, Kings Norton don't appeal ? 

Not heard anything bad about RH tbh in fact Its on my list to play a comp there in 2017 

Pricey1878    9

The pro Jamie did indeed move from Hollywood to Robin Hood. The Asst Pro, Bav came with him and again looks after the junior section, which my lad got involved with at Hollywood, I enquired and it appears the junior section here is very healthy with plenty of things on offer including Dad's and Lads comps. The only downside is my lad is 12 so tips into the £183 a year section but if he enjoys it then it'll be money well spent. I've considered Maxstoke but I know absolutely no one there and is further away as are Kings Norton, Fulford and Copt Heath. Olton is the same distance as Robin Hood but again I know noone there. I played 9 holes at Robin Hood on Sunday and although it rained the greens and course were fantastic. A little added bonus is the lovely view from the clubhouse over the practice green, flower beds and 18th fairway and green, somewhere nice to enjoy a post round pint from! The members were all very chatty and welcoming too which is what I wanted to experience. There are plenty of competitions and the way it seems to be set up allows single golfers to easily be involved and find people to play with, which is important to me. There also appears a lot of societies operate within the club so again something to consider and get involved in once I get in. Once my lad is hooked though I hope to play many rounds with him until one day he's legal to get the post round beer in! The future plans for the course and clubhouse are all really positive so unless someone tells me to the contrary I'll be joining!

• Like 1

Pricey1878    9

So just to finalise my thread, I took the plunge and now I'm a fully paid up member and haven't been disappointed, really welcoming people, great course and facilities and best of all for me my lad is loving it! 

• Like 2

Ricey155    56

Just about to book the gents singles event on the 6th June £25  a man :-) following day I have Nuneaton open pairs busy weekend

Rob Nutt    48
7 hours ago, Ricey155 said:

Rob what time you off ? 

1254, was hoping to play later but one of my group decided against playing as we are at Melton Mowbray the next day

• Like 1

Ricey155    56
12 hours ago, Pricey1878 said:

Sorry Russell, just read your post, yes you're off with me at 10am! 

Cool stuff, good to catch up with a fellow forum member :-)

Ricey155    56

I'm only going for the beer :D

Seriously hoping for a warm sunny day and a few birdies.

Have a good knock Rob