Sign in to follow this  
Golfshake Editor

2016 Ryder Cup Review

It was Europe's biggest Ryder Cup loss since 1981, but what (if anything) should Darren Clarke had done differently? Many will say that his first mistakes came during his wild card picks, when he chose experience over form by selecting Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer over two-time PGA Tour winner Russell Knox. Others will question his pairings and strategy, leaving Andy Sullivan out till Sunday after the Friday morning, not to mention dropping an impressive Chris Wood and splitting up the all-Spanish pair of Sergio Garcia and Rafa Cabrera Bello. 

So, what do you think? Golfshake writer Derek Clements had his say in this article. http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/10387/2016_Ryder_Cup_Review.html

The thing that gets me is that the Ryder Cup is Match-Play and we don't play enough of it on Tour so you don't really know the guys. Darren Clarke does so you shouldn't give him a hard time.

It is also easy to have a go after the event.

At the end of the day, the US holed more putts that Europe and came out winners so well done to them.

Play the same course, same players and pairings again and the result would be totally different.

Me, I'm looking forward to the next one.

• Like 1

I agree with you Lyth.

On reflection there are things I would have done different, selection, pairings ect.....but I'm not the captain, and in the unlikely event that I ever am I'm sure I will come under scrutiny. :-)

The golf was the highest level, regardless of the course set up. That Sergio Mickleson match was something else.

Can wait for 2018!!

• Like 1