Sign in to follow this  
Chris P

Pestana Courses in Portugal

There's a few of us going to Portugal this weekend. We're staying at Pestana Resort and will be playing the following courses

• Villa Sol
  • Gramacho
  • Silves
  • Alto
  • Vale da Pinta

I know there's a good bunch of golfshakers who have been here, so has anyone got any feedback/ideas/suggestions on where to eat, drink, avoid, etc whilst we are there? Any feedback on the courses would be good too

• Like 1

Is that the Pestana resort at Gramacho (Carvoiero)?  If so it's a bit out of the way from where we're used to.  I think there's a few restaurants on the site, should definitely be some in Lagoa.  Loads of stuff in Praia da Rocha, just whizz up the N125 and go in the harbour route.

As for the courses, they're all good - the group of us who go in February all have different favourites but I think Gramacho probably tips it for me.  It's close though and it's down to nitpicking.  Pinta has a long slog back up to the clubhouse from the 18th, Alto has two tiring monster par 5's to finish (600m) and a couple of municipal par 3's on the back 9, Silves is stunning but the last two holes are a bit dull and Villa Sol is tight and unforgiving in places.

All have cold beer in the clubhouse :)

• Like 1

Yep, staying at Carvoiero. Our first trip so unsure what we're getting hence asking. Villa Sol tight and unforgiving eh? Baptism of fire then as we play that first!

First is tree lined and appears narrow, OB all down the left, second OB down right.  Then a couple of doglegs, long par 3, then water etc.  Easier the second time :)

All the Pestana course are nice.  My favourites are Villa Sol, Pinta and Gramacho.  Silves has probably the best feature hole I've played (13th hole).  Alto is probably considered the poor relation but it still a decent course. It only gets spoiled by the fact you have played the others first.

Russ