TheLyth

Rory drops Nike.

So Rory signs with Spalding, then a short while later Nike (and Adidas) announce they are dropping their Club range. They will still offer clothing and footwear.

Is it the end for some of the equipment guys or just a dip?

Nike are dropping club manufacturing (as well as all the people associated with it) .... and were a small (and failing) company in the market.

adidas on the other hand are looking to sell Taylormade (as an ongoing company) and have just announced a much better sales quarter.

Both Nike and Adidas are leaving the golf club equipment business but in very different circumstances.

Never thought about buying Nike irons ever, drivers were OK guess even with the big guns on board they just didn't pull the proper golfers in !!

I heard benross or slazenger #SportsDirect

Always thought that Nike were a  fashion brand anyway and the announcement  that  they are continuing with the golf footwear and and clothing only confirms that for me.  I think one of their problems in particular with the clubs was the shear volume of types they made, it seemed to me that they were coming out with a new, longer  and more forgiving set every couple of weeks (well months but you know what I mean) and fewer and fewer golfers were falling for it.

Heard that American Golf are buying up all of Nike's club stock to be sold at full price.  Not sure what they'll do with replacements or returns as I heard that they had no plans to make anything.  Only a rumour though...

Wonder if Rory got all the $120 over 5 years he was alleged to have signed up for ?

I shed no tears for the golf industry/business. They've been BS'ing us for years. It's the sport I care about.

Note that now that there's been a world recession for a few years, there are a lot less bargains and a lot less sales and Direct Golf isn't what it use to be. 
However, it's the internet that now gives the best prices.

6 hours ago, Brian T said:

Didn't think there were that many places that were internet only for golf .... and most places gives price matching anyway.

That's not my experience Brian.
There are quite a few online only trustworthy stores, and furthermore I've never found any physical shops that will price-match something that is purely online only. It is purely online only stores that generally have the lowest prices for what I need regularly, i.e. the consumables balls, gloves and tees. I buy in bulk only once or twice a year, and bulk also tends be above the free delivery trigger.

I accept that sometimes I spend 30 minutes to an hour searching, but my time is free and once I have a few names in my head they tend to stay around. I can also browse and order all evening and night if I want to!

Slightly different point but another good example of online saving is a Yuasa REC26-12 latest version trolley battery and a genuine Yuasa smart 2amp charger; I paid £52 including delivery about 12 months ago.
Now this is new trend I have noticed: northern companies and companies away from the expensive SE, ergo lower cost base, getting their websites sorted out and selling nationwide including to us soft southerners surrounded by high cost retailers, because most people are now happy to accept courier deliveries. A Brucy Bonus for northern companies, etc..., and cheaper goods for us!

Edited by Viper

Ultimately that depends on what you define as internet only. I bought my ping i20's with American Golf and they price matched Snainton Golf (which was by far the cheapest place at the time), they also price matched some Adidas Shoes too (knocking about £30 off their own price at the time). Only caveat is usually that the matched item is actually in stock at that size in the other store , which usually ruins it for shoes unless your size 7  :)

not sure how a battery would be matched as I doubt anybody actually stocks yuasa, it's worked fine for gloves and balls for me though.

of course to side with the retailer, using somewhere to price match that is actually trustworthy is an obvious point to stop people trying to price match against Chinese fake goods, or goods/shops that simply don't exist. Having said that all the places I've price matched are usually bricks and mortar too (they just don't have shops down here). 

My point about the Yuasa battrey wasn't specific to the brand (although I believe that Yuasa are the market leader in golf batteries - Yuasa are also a major supplier to the aviation industry, including the Boeing 787).  The battery was so cheap it didn't matter about price-matching.  The point is that at any particular moment in time, i.e. when your googling something, there will be a "cheapest reliable" seller, but not necessarily the same one as 1 week / 6 months / 12 months earlier. So for any battery it might be thebatteryshop, or batterymegastore, or The Safety Centre, or xxxxxx.  They now compare themselves online every night.
When bought my Footjoy hydrolite's it was from Aberdeen £63, my e6's were Liverpool £15 dozen, wooden tee's Exeter dirt cheap, etc...... but next time someone else might be cheaper for all 3.

Internet sales are now so cheap even within the UK that it's almost impossible for anyone to price-match anyway. Why go to the bother of price-matching if you have found what you want cheaply? It wastes time; just order it online and forget about it until it turns up.  

Granted that expensive and/or fitted goods are different, but I don't claim otherwise. But for regular consumables you don't need salesman facetime. A wooden tee is a wooden tee, a leather glove is a leather glove, and 12 golf balls are........well, you know what comes next.

My shop front is my front door that I answer when my delivery arrives.