Ron A

First time handicap

Hi all.

Recently joined a club and about to play in my first medal and a first card for handicap purposes.  I wanted to know if in entering the competition I have to hand in my card even if I have a disaster of a round.  There's an element of pride involved in getting my handicap as low as possible and I wouldn't particularly want to officially record a score of say, 30 over if I normally go round my home course at say 18+.  I appreciate the handicap will be calculated using 3 scores however I'd be far happier with a handicap based on 3 scores around 18+ than 2 at that level and one at 30+.

Sorry Ron but I am confused here.

Do you actually have a valid Hcp for the Medal or are you using it for one of your qualifying cards?

On the question of handing your card in. If you don't hand your card in you will be DQ'd, but if you post a NR (no return) you will get 0.1 back on a Hcp.

Most Golf Clubs don't allow you to enter a Medal without an 'active' Hcp.

A qualifying card will only take scores of up to net par +2 in to account so eliminating big scores. I would advise just putting three cards in, getting a Hcp, then looking at getting it into the range you want.

• Like 1

Yup don't hand the card is a DQ and won't even be used for qualifying round.  If you do this it will just take longer to get your official handicap from your first 3 rounds.

2 minutes ago, TheLyth said:

A qualifying card will only take scores of up to net par +2 in to account so eliminating big scores. I would advise just putting three cards in, getting a Hcp, then looking at getting it into the range you want.

Concur

generally your first handicap is higher than what it should be [pressure of playing well, nerves] then with in a month it will right itself, so just enjoy the round.

And yoou have to put 3 cards in so the longer it takes the longer it will be before you have an ofical handicap, plus [not putting any pressure on you but.....] you dont want to be seen by the members of the club that you are joining to be picking a choosing your rounds.

handipcaps are there for a reason.

On 7/27/2016 at 18:01, Ron A said:

Hi all.

Recently joined a club and about to play in my first medal and a first card for handicap purposes.  I wanted to know if in entering the competition I have to hand in my card even if I have a disaster of a round.  There's an element of pride involved in getting my handicap as low as possible and I wouldn't particularly want to officially record a score of say, 30 over if I normally go round my home course at say 18+.  I appreciate the handicap will be calculated using 3 scores however I'd be far happier with a handicap based on 3 scores around 18+ than 2 at that level and one at 30+.

As you won't be officially playing in the qualifying competition you can't be DQd for not returning your card.  It is up to you to decide to return (or not) the card for initial handicap allocation. If you do put it in, you should make it clear that it is for initial allocation (preferably giving it to the handicap sec directly). If you just put it 'in the box' it is likely to get lost.

When putting in 3 cards (or more if the club requirement is such), then you can be selective about which cards you return. The rules seem to have missed the fact that players may try to inflate or sandbag their initial allocation. But they don't make any ruling. Of course the game is one of honour.