Sign in to follow this  
Fimac

Changing clothing during round

Need a ruling please. 

During a competition we are allowed to use our clubhouse for a comfort break, as there are no

facilities on the course. 

During this comfort break a player , having brought in a dry shirt from his golf bag,

the player takes off their wet shirt and puts on the dry one. Then returns outside and

continues with the competition. 

Is this against competition rules ? Or does the fact that the dry shirt was in his golf bag at the start of the match make it legal ?

had a quick look in the rule book and can see no reference to clothing, so for me it's not a rule, 

no different if half way round the player purchased a new shirt from the Pro shop

The problem is that just like clubs everything you use during a round of golf must be contained in your bag at the start of the game. If you get a shirt from the pro shop half way round ,and put it on,you are technically breaking the rules   

normally you are not allowed to do anything except have a quick pee and return to the game. It's not the fact that the shirt was changed ( as it was in the bag at the start of the competition) it's whether it should have been changed on the course and not in the clubhouse. Therefore getting out of the rain while changing, does that constitute an unfair advantage ?

If the action does not delay play they are OK. It is just like going to your car during a round to collect a club left behind before commencing that round. As long as you still only have 14 afterwards.

What rule is it that says you have to have everything in your bag at the start of the round, it's a new one on me on me. I've nipped back to the car or into the pro shop on many occasions (brolly, glove, tees, balls, etc). How about using a ball you have found on the course? I know you're permitted to borrow a ball off another player if you run out and that wouldn't be in your bag at the start

5 hours ago, Fimac said:

No you're  not allowed to do that you can only use equipment that you start with. 

Here is the Rule that states you can.

4-4. Maximum of Fourteen Clubs

a. Selection and Addition of Clubs

The player must not start a stipulated round with more than fourteen clubs. He is limited to the clubs thus selected for that round, except that if he started with fewer than fourteen clubs, he may add any number, provided his total number does not exceed fourteen.

The addition of a club or clubs must not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7) and the player must not add or borrow any club selected for play by any other person playing on the course or by assembling components carried by or for the player during the stipulated round

Sorry, but you seem to be applying rules incorrectly. There is nothing in the rules to prevent this, and the idea that it would be OK if you did it on the course rather than in the clubhouse is simply a stranger link that you are trying to make between other rules.

if I'd been clever enough to bring a change of clothing with me during a wet day then I'd be congratulated for such a move. 

Edited by Brian T

13 hours ago, Fimac said:

No you're  not allowed to do that you can only use equipment that you start with. 

I would be very interested in your pointing out just which rule that is. It certainly isn't in the Rules of Golf.

Are you suggesting you can't use a stray ball that you find during your round or a nearby abandoned tee?

The only rule which may be involved is 6-7  "Between completion of a hole and playing from the next teeing ground, the player must not unduly delay play."

Edited by AAA