Sign in to follow this  
lmc

new irons

I have decided to upgrade my irons from my trusty G5's at the end of the year, so i am starting to look now.

i am a 15 handicapp, who doesnt play a long ball but normally straight with a tiny fade, fairway accurancy is about 95% , so want a bit more distance.

does any one have any reccomendations, as you can tell i am not someone who just changes my golf gear on a whim but i feel that my iron play is the one place that is letting my game down.

Quite simply, get fitted. If you go to a proper fitting centre (not a net in American Gllf or similar) they will help you find the right irons for you, set up the way you need them

As Chris says, make sure you get fitted. It is the no.1 thing that will make a difference to your game when buying new clubs. Loads of great models out there from the big manufacturers. Try a few out for feel/looks and then book in to have them custom made even if costs a little extra. You won't regret it. 

8 hours ago, Veravista said:

And after that you can take them to Melvyn up the road and get them fitted properly!

Cynic!

Had a try of some today, sort of a "narrow it down" session to see what I do and don't like. Amazing how you can get 15 yards difference with two different 6 irons both carrying the same shaft

The head loft may not be the same, and most important for iron should be your dispersion from target, as well as peak height and ball spin. Distance for irons is one of the things that makes less importance.

• Like 1

Agree with you BT. For me dispersion is the critical factor I'm looking for in irons as if a need more distance I can always pull an extra club. I want to know that if I pull say a 6 iron as long as I make a proper swing and I'm aligned it will land in a 5 yard diameter circle every time. I've had a look since posting and the club that was 15 yards longer (Callaway Apex Pro vs Titleist CB716) was also 1* stronger in loft. 

I think this shows the vanity of distance in marketing. I also read somewhere a while back that one reason players struggle with long irons now (and hence the popularity of hybrids) is that lofts have been strengthened and what is now called a 4 iron would've been a 2 iron 10 to 15 years ago

As a side note, I was trying out some hybrids as well. All in the same loft, most were consistently around 210 yards. However the TalyorMade M2 was hitting the netting at 250 yards (pitch and roll). That sounds good but it's not for me because I want something for the gap between my 3 iron and 3 wood - distance isn't everything!