Viper

Short pitches, especially with lob wedge

For reference: Lob wedge, anything 60 degrees and over.

Something I do to avoid the usual unskilled amateur "thick" shot, that looses a ball behind the green!
We all know that with any full shot a full hip, shoulders arm technique is needed, as well as turning the head eventually. However.... 
When I need to do a short or very short pitch with my lob wedge (usually because there is a hazard in the way) it is rarely the case that I need to do a full back and forward swing; so I don't. What I have decided matters is that I get the head under the ball, and not thick it.

So the tip I'm giving here is: open stance, knees bent, feet 1 foot apart, ball just right of right foot, hands ahead of left thigh, hands chocked up or down depending on energy needed, short backswing, don't chicken out as you now natural hit down and through the ball, finish no more than 45 degree through follow-through; However, the most important bit is..................keep looking down until you hear the ball land.

A lot of thicking of the ball is golfers lifting or turning their heads on this type of short shot.  This lifts one end of the pivot by raising the head, and the trap is that if you do it too early you thick the shot because you have raised the club head, because your head is still connected to your shoulders.  It's critical with this type of shot that contact is under and near perfect, and even more critical if you have opened the face for this shot. Your mates will tell you if it's all gone wrong, long. You don't need to see where it's gone because it's a short shot!   Well not until a biiiiiiit later, obviously.

With a shot like this, not moving your head has no effect on the final trajectory. It's also important that you try this next to the ball to see how "sticky" the grass/fringe/rough is and is only recommended if you can get under the ball; this will not work on buried, imbedded, long or thick grass. The more the ball is sitting up, the more likely this is to work.

Try it on the range, see if it works for you.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

Maybe I'm being thick but I've not heard of a "thick shot" in golf. I've heard of a fat (hitting the ground too heavy) and I've heard of a thin (catching the ball much lower on the face), also known as knifing it too.

Your description sounds much like an explanation of how not to thin a wedge shot. Is the terminology different in various areas of the country / world?

.... good description though ;)

1 hour ago, Brian T said:

Maybe I'm being thick but I've not heard of a "thick shot" in golf. I've heard of a fat (hitting the ground too heavy) and I've heard of a thin (catching the ball much lower on the face), also known as knifing it too.

Your description sounds much like an explanation of how not to thin a wedge shot. Is the terminology different in various areas of the country / world?

.... good description though ;)

Although I have heard, and obviously used, the term "thick shot", I accept that it's not in general parlance, and it does equate to "thin" or "knifing".

I probably use this term because I have in the past read it in books (I read a lot of Nicklaus and Watson books when I was younger...) and I think this is where I might have picked it up from.  I believe they are referring to the sharp bottom edge of the club hitting the "thickest" part of the ball, i.e. the middle diameter, hence the thickest part, hence "thicking".  I am not sure it is a US term though.

Or, I might have picked it up somewhere else... 

I would be interested to know if anyone else has heard/understood this term.  Just curious.

It is important to also note that I am referring in my original Topic post to avoiding at all cost the sharp bottom edge of a lob wedge hitting any part of the of the ball, which is difficult to avoid with high-angle lob wedges; this is the true cock-up that leads to the ball disappearing at high speed and low-level into the rubbish behind the green like a sea-skimming Exocet missile.

50 minutes ago, OwenDavies said:

Well, the very last example in the last video is juuuuuuussssssst about what I was describing, because I / we are, as the presented said "...most people...".

Although I think he lifted/turned his head too early !!!    lolololol

I can never understand why some people have four wedges (usually 52. 56, 60 & 64) then still open the face to play every lob shot.

On the subject of a "thick" shot. I would see this as a shot played from rough that a player doesn't hit through the shot so the head clings in the grass.

Personally when playing lob shots around the green I try and keep the club head low and accelerating.