Forum Admin

Marginal gains in golf

Anyone apply this within golf ?  just reading through 'Every Shot Counts' & 'The Practice Manual' so will feedback once complete.

Aside, this is a recent feature we did on Golfshake looking at the FootJoy fitting with BodiTrack to fit a shoe to swing type - interesting stuff if you manage to get the 9 yards driving distance out of it !

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/9907/FootJoy_Performance_Fitting_System_Video_Review.html

Have seen your tour pro's say that they will change driver for a one yard gain. Clearly that's marginal but also they have more at stake in their golf game that me.

I'd certainly take a nine yard gain ...particularly if it came  from something as simple as a comfortable pair of shoes :)

• Like 1

Different level when we get to the Pro game hence why 'strokes gained' gets so much attention. The rest of us just want to hit it off the tee and get the ball on the green !  :)

Will be interesting to see what the FJ recommends for me (assuming someone close has one). I usually have comfort above most  other criteria, Hyperflex feel great but the new ones (freestyle) feel even better .... very light, very flexible and great cushioning from the quick look I had in the shop last week. So if it recommends something different I'd be torn really.

Oh my, this is yet another story like the "Emperor's new clothes".

Comfortable shoes? = essential.

Fitting your shoes to your swing (as shown on link item) " Interestingly research has shown that by wearing the right shoe related to your swing you can increase the swing speed by up to 3mph resulting in a 9 yard gain in driver distance."  = BS

BS

BS

They would say that, wouldn't they, they are trying to increase shoe sales. Just get comfortable, correctly fitted shoes, especially the correct width.
Just like every new driver for the last 10 years; if the claims were believed I'd be hitting over 350 yards having changed my driver 10 times.

When is the golf industry going to stop treating it's customers as idiots...... we HAVE to pay for our shoes, the Pro's get them for free and, strangely, they never criticise anything they are paid to use/wear.....

Edited by Viper

To the Tour Pro these minor adjustments mean a lot but to the average golfer they don't. In my day I could tell if I was playing with a 100 compression ball (my preferred) as against a softer one. certain shoes were favoured too.

Not the most ludicrous claim I've ever heard by a long shot.  In a way they have a point, I'd probably drive miles further wearing a comfy pair of golf shoes as opposed to a pair of 70's stack platform boots (ask your parents...), but I don't think that's what they meant...  

This reminds me of something my daughter told me when she was doing her engineering degree at Southampton.  They develop a material and see if the aerospace industry needs it.  No.  Can the pro-cyclists use it?  No.  Well, sell it to golfers, they'll buy anything. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Veravista said:

Not the most ludicrous claim I've ever heard by a long shot.  In a way they have a point, I'd probably drive miles further wearing a comfy pair of golf shoes as opposed to a pair of 70's stack platform boots (ask your parents...), but I don't think that's what they meant...  

This reminds me of something my daughter told me when she was doing her engineering degree at Southampton.  They develop a material and see if the aerospace industry needs it.  No.  Can the pro-cyclists use it?  No.  Well, sell it to golfers, they'll buy anything. 

lolololololololo

(breath in)

lolololololololololololol

That's funny...... and so so true !

But it's true though. Sad, but true.  I haven't got time to do the research, but just think how many times you've seen a make of driver claiming to be x yards longer and more forgiving than their previous model.  Well, I've been playing for, oh maybe 15 years and the major manufacturers have a life cycle of drivers of 12 - 18 months.  So if each one is 5 yards longer than the previous one, I should be driving the ball between 50 to 75 yards longer than when I started.  Considering how bad I was when I started that's not a ludicrous claim, but the improvement has not been entirely linear with my playing career..