Hazza

Ball recommendations

Hello,

Looking for ball recommendations this time, I know a lot is down to individual preference/fell but though people may want to make some suggestions. I'm a 24 handicap but improving, swing speed is around 80-85mph and currently using Wilson dx2. I like the ball but there seems to be little green side spin.

What alternatives or tried and tested balls would people suggest, I was looking at the Wilson urethane, but other suggestions welcome.  

I used the Wilson Dx2 for a long time. Great ball but I agree there's very little spin on it.  I still use it as a winter ball where green side spin is not an issue on soft greens. 

I'd suggest the Srixon AD333 or AD333 Tour if you want something a little more 'spinny'. Just a note of caution though; more green side spin = more side spin. That could mean any slice/hook you get with the driver at the moment would be exaggerated

Winter ball AD333. Available under £17 a dozen.

Summer ball Bridgestone e6 if you can find it. Since the company stopped importing it into the UK supplies are hard to find; however you can still find them at reasonable prices on the internet.  The 3 layer e6 is, in my humble opinion, almost as good as pro v1's, but at 2/3 the price or lower. With the e6 I can hit high 80's/low 90's on my Club's par 72, 6500 metre course.  Pay no more than £20 a dozen.

And remember, both these balls and almost everything else that's a consumable is available on the internet at cheaper prices.

Edited by Viper

I ordered their selection pack on 22nd december and it arrived on 29th so that was a good start!

the balls are good and while i haven't tried them all my favourite is the pro plus. i will certainly be ordering some more in the future

Just seen email advert that includes:
www.onlinegolf.co.uk:  2 packs of Bridgestone Golf E6 Golf Balls for £30. (£15 a dozen for e6's is a real bargain).

However, I've also been looking at Vice and would like to know what further feedback you might have please dando...

if you like the wilson dx2, then try the dx3, only a few £ more

or if you can get them the wilson fg tour ball is a 4 piece ball that you will find hard to better

1 hour ago, dando said:

I actually prefer the pro plus to zstars that I used to use. All in all they're a great all round ball

I used a complementary sleeve of Zstars a couple of years ago. I loved them, but I can't afford them!

Well, I tried the Vice selection box.
To set the scene: I use AD333 in winter and e6 in summer, now.

So I am comparing all 4 Vice choices ball types to the e6, and I have now used them all...and lost them all over 3 rounds! I loose an e6 once every 2 rounds on average. The Vice balls are all TERRIBLE. I'll say it again - TERRIBLE  I lost between 20 and 30 yards on my drives, and the same, in proportion, on every other club.  Not only that, but these balls are unbelievably spiny; my slice went banana!  It's all consistent with the Vice balls, loss of distance and increased slice.
Today, on the 18th, I lost my last Vice into a lake in front of the green, with a PW that barely made 70 yards and turned right; I then used an e6 from the same spot and got 90 yards straight. QED

Luckily I have a couple of years supply of e6's left, and there are clearly some people importing them because I can still see them on sale. Cheap.

To be honest, given the positive opinions on here about Vice, I am very surprised at my experience....

17 hours ago, Viper said:

Well, I tried the Vice selection box.
To set the scene: I use AD333 in winter and e6 in summer, now.

So I am comparing all 4 Vice choices ball types to the e6, and I have now used them all...and lost them all over 3 rounds! I loose an e6 once every 2 rounds on average. The Vice balls are all TERRIBLE. I'll say it again - TERRIBLE  I lost between 20 and 30 yards on my drives, and the same, in proportion, on every other club.  Not only that, but these balls are unbelievably spiny; my slice went banana!  It's all consistent with the Vice balls, loss of distance and increased slice.
Today, on the 18th, I lost my last Vice into a lake in front of the green, with a PW that barely made 70 yards and turned right; I then used an e6 from the same spot and got 90 yards straight. QED

Luckily I have a couple of years supply of e6's left, and there are clearly some people importing them because I can still see them on sale. Cheap.

To be honest, given the positive opinions on here about Vice, I am very surprised at my experience....

Further.....

Just got back from driving range, and all is well with my ball flight using Srixon 100% range balls.

• Like 1

Seems like you've found a type of ball for your swing, I'd stick to them.

ive heard many good things about the Vice and until know I've not found anybody lose 20-30yds on their drives because of the ball ... of course having a huge slice will cause distance loss, so maybe you did find the cause more a combo of your swing and the vice balls. Wouldn't surprise me if you saw the same with most premium balls though, as the vice aren't that much different to prov1 ZStar etc.

6 hours ago, Brian T said:

Seems like you've found a type of ball for your swing, I'd stick to them.

ive heard many good things about the Vice and until know I've not found anybody lose 20-30yds on their drives because of the ball ... of course having a huge slice will cause distance loss, so maybe you did find the cause more a combo of your swing and the vice balls. Wouldn't surprise me if you saw the same with most premium balls though, as the vice aren't that much different to prov1 ZStar etc.

All that is of course correct, and understood. However, when I occasionally  managed to hit the Vice's straight or with my usual, limited, "power fade", I still had a 20 to 30 yards loss with the driver; the distance loss was even worse with a banana.  Remember, I tried 4 different Vice balls.

Furthermore, I did say earlier that I have used a free sleeve of Z-Stars, and loved them, and I have used a dozen Pro V1's (xmas present) and loved them, all in the last 3 years. I just cannot afford them.

So, good luck to anyone who is happy with their Vices.

But here's a "thing":  can it really be that easy to produce cheaply, even in Thailand(?) a ball as good as a Pro V1? There must be more to a Pro V1 than just 318 dimples, or whatever Titleist are suing over?  There must surely be more inside the Pro V1 that is expensive but missing from a Vice equivalent? If it were simple to copy a Pro V1, others with competent patent lawyers would do so by making enough small changes to avoid infringing Titleist's Rights?

I'm sure I saw a circumferential flat seam at the joint on the top-of-the-range Vice; aren't Pro V1's seamless as well?

On 04/04/2017 at 09:39, Chip4Putt said:

Bought some of the Vice Pro+ balls and been very impressed. Great value for money.

Review coming soon on Golfshake for the VICE balls.  We've also done some testing of FORTE plus new Srizon Z Star and Titleist Pro Vs:

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/10814/Srixon_Z_Star_Review.html

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/10804/Titleist_Pro_V1_and_Pro_V1x_Review.html

2 hours ago, darrenram said:

Review coming soon on Golfshake for the VICE balls.  We've also done some testing of FORTE plus new Srizon Z Star and Titleist Pro Vs:

Any spares of the Vice and ZStar Darren? Would like to compare to the TM TP5 to see how they perform in is warmer weather ... and whether it's worth keeping the premium balls or returning to my stock of AD333 Tour.