Hazza

Recommendations for a new golf GPS device

Looking at getting a dedicated golf GPS device rather than using my smartphone as I do now since I'm starting to do society and comp days so it's a bit of a no no. 

Not looking for anything too fancy, tops 150 quid budget, no lasers and no big handhelds.

Got three I'm thinking of, any views on these or any other recommendations,

Bushnell Neo xs

Bushnell Neo Ghost

Garmin S2

Cheers

Can't see why a smartphone is frowned upon, it's certainly not against the rules (assuming the comp has a rule allowing DMD then a smartphone is valid)

Any requirements in terms of:

wearable - on your wrist, clipped to belt, in pocket, in golf bag ?

size - again relevant to the above

data - simple front, middle, back or course maps/layouts providing distance to any point etc

I'm not too bothered either way on wearable, I don't like getting a strap mark but I could strap it to the bag if necessary. I have quite small wrists so nothing too bulky, again no large handhelds something golfbuddy or Neo Ghost size. Features wise obvious;y front middle back, hazards/layups would-be good, not so fussed on layouts or pin placement. 

Following all worth checking out and will probably just come down to what price you can get them for:

GolfBuddy CT2 - http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/9452/GolfBuddy_Launches_Its_Exciting_New_Micro_CT2_Compact_GPS.html

SkyCaddie AIRE - http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/8037/SkyCaddie_AIRE_II_launches_with_nofees_and_low_price.html

Bushnell NEO Ghost - http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/8418/Bushnell_launch_NEO_Ghost_GPS_Rangefinder.html

All good products.  Only one I've not tested, but will be doing so soon, is the Bushnell NEO Ghost

Thank you for that I'll have a look, they certainly tick the boxes on features. Any watches that would fit the bill or are the handheld units a bit more feature rich?

The golf buddy and skycaddie are quite similar but that you have to pay the upgrade cost to get all the features on the skycaddie that the golf buddy gives you for no fee. Just a question of whether I want a bit cheaper but slightly less featured Bushnell Ghost or just go for the golf buddy. 

On 13 May 2016 at 10:42, Brian T said:

Can't see why a smartphone is frowned upon, it's certainly not against the rules (assuming the comp has a rule allowing DMD then a smartphone is valid)

Sorry but that's not true. A DMD cannot measure temperature, wind direction, slope, etc., even if it is disabled in use. If you use a smart phone in a comp it's a DQ

On 18 May 2016 at 22:11, Chris P said:

Sorry but that's not true. A DMD cannot measure temperature, wind direction, slope, etc., even if it is disabled in use. If you use a smart phone in a comp it's a DQ

Rules have been clarified Chris, smartphones are NOT automatically banned.

check out http://www.randa.org/News/2015/12/Revision-to-Rules-Regarding-Distance-Measuring-Devices for a decent FAQ which answers most questions.

Only managed one round so far with the CT2. Very easy to use and enjoyed using the shot measure on a big drive I hit. I did find that some hazards appeared to be missing and have been advised to download the course again which I will do and then see if it fixes it. I was pleasantly surprised to find that although I had been told the unit only had the distance to hazards including water I have found it also has carry distances for water as denoted by a small downward arrow to the upper right of the hazard, it was the one downfall I thought the unit may have but it now doesn't so that's even better for me. 

Given the new 2016 rules and interpretations about smartphones I really don't understand why anyone would now pay for a dedicated DMD.

FreeCaddie is............................FREE, and it's even available for a WindowsPhone! (as well as ios and android)

Well the CT2 went back, sadly went to another course which has had three new holes in place for many years but these were missing also. I requested an update but had to return the unit before I got a response, I did get a reply to say the course update had been completed but too late for me. I would also say I found D the u it hard to navigate, buttons did different things and had to be held to get into menus etc. Updates also seemed tricky having to go through several menus to update the maps. 

I've instead purchased a Garmin G10.  I used it for the first time yesterday, when got it updates were simple  just plugged in, and the unit updated it's firmware and all maps in a couple of clicks. Took it out on the course yesterday, very easy to use simple menu and up/down select buttons makes navigation easy. Yardages were great, locked on to the course quickly, easy to read in the sun. Saved me shots where I used hazard yardages to play in for approach shots. Used 25% battery for the one round which was about 4 hours so you would probably get three rounds no problem. 

A minor point:  whilst GPS is a bloody marvellous invention, don't forget that when the GPS APP is out-of-date we can all still use something we all use to use years ago before GPS....... the course guide!

Edited by Viper