lmc

General Play handicapp drop

does anyone know the rules of general play on handicapps. I have joined a new club and was given a handicap of 23, I have 2 rounds of stableford competition and 1st one scoring 38 and the club dropped me to 19, the 2nd i scored 41 and they then dropped me to 15.

which means that i have been dropped 8 shots in 2 weeks.

the 2nd game was the best game i have ever played and the weather conditions were perfect, it is not to my normal standard.

so my question is how often can they use the annual rule in any one year?

For me to give a full answer I will need to know the CSS for the course against par and your 'actual Hcp'.

Regards

David

The CONGU Handicapping system is hard to understand and without the information required even harder but I will try and explain.

Club competitions (qualifiers) use a system where a CSS (competition scratch score) is used to adjust your Hcp and the one thing many people forget is that in stableford its against Par, not SSS.

If you started on 22.5 actual (23 playing) Hcp and got 38pts (2 under par) on a par 71 (SSS73 with a CSS74) then you should be pulled by 2.0 so move to 20.5. If your 2nd round is under the same numbers you should have been puled 3.1 to 17.4. If they think your starting Hcp was wrong, they can adjust it but this would/should have been made clear to you.

David

Don't they also cut you for exceptional scoring if you have two rounds in succession where your handicap has been cut through the normal system (hope this makes sense) - Not long ago i had two cracking rounds and my HC was reduced in line with the sore under par and my category IE 4 under at cat 2 = 0.8 reduction, i then came down 1.2 in the next comp and had a exceptional scoring reduction of 2 shots applied!

Remember also did you have blobs on those days ? the handicap system only takes a double into account, so if you had 15 great holes and bagged 41 points they would probably cut you based on 44 etc so another 0.9 on top. 

Exceptional scoring reductions are good in my view, you can't have a buffer so you win every week till you find the correct handicap :-) 

Soon be off scratch 

On 5/9/2016 at 13:17, lmc said:

so my question is how often can they use the annual rule in any one year?

The Annual Review is only run once a year generally during the winter after October 1.