PJ

Advice on custom fitted clubs please

Recommended Posts

I have a set of ping g25, Im 6 foot 3 and have been offered to have my irons custom fitted. Ive played with standard length clubs for 10 years and never questioned whether I could do with having my clubs adjusted. Is it too late to bother? Or is it worth having my clubs adjusted? 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

go for it, 

my set were custom fit fro new, I started out with them at 21hc and now play off 13, It's not all the clubs but having the correct set up helps

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

go for it. it will only make you a better player. it may be 1 step backward but the 2 steps forward as you get used to the changes in lie/ loft etc. cac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A must I'd say, if you have heads you like eg the pings just get them set up correctly, after all PING don't really custom fit they just fit you in a slot based on there charts ! 

I'm tempted to have new shafts set up in my new callaway XRS, lighter as I'm ageing (43) try and ramp my swing speed up a little along with correct frequency and swing weights etc I do wonder how far out my current set up is !! I guess callaway don't bother matching it much and just wack the shafts in and sent them out. 

 

let us know how you get on 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/04/2016 at 17:58, PJ said:

I have a set of ping g25, Im 6 foot 3 and have been offered to have my irons custom fitted. Ive played with standard length clubs for 10 years and never questioned whether I could do with having my clubs adjusted. Is it too late to bother? Or is it worth having my clubs adjusted? 

Thanks.

Unfortunately I have just spotted your height.

To custom fit clubs for you, you would need to have purchased the set with shafts longer than normal, in order to start from the correct datum.  You cannot get the shafts lengthened, except perhaps the driver and 3 wood if you got them with interchangeable shafts.

Standard length is moot, as it varies from one manufacturer to another.  But standard length usually means suitable for 5' 8" to 5' 10".  Me thinks it's pointless for you to spend money on getting these clubs fitted, as the real fault starts with the shaft lengths. 

Sorry... but I have to be accurate and honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Viper said:

Unfortunately I have just spotted your height.

To custom fit clubs for you, you would need to have purchased the set with shafts longer than normal, in order to start from the correct datum.  You cannot get the shafts lengthened, except perhaps the driver and 3 wood if you got them with interchangeable shafts.

Standard length is moot, as it varies from one manufacturer to another.  But standard length usually means suitable for 5' 8" to 5' 10".  Me thinks it's pointless for you to spend money on getting these clubs fitted, as the real fault starts with the shaft lengths. 

Sorry... but I have to be accurate and honest.

Viper, don't fall into the trap that many golfers do. It's not your height, but the distance from your wrist/tips of fingers that set the length of shaft you need. Being 6ft 3" or 5ft 3", these lengths may be the same for both people. I'm 5ft 10" and use 1/4" longer clubs (fitted by Ben Sayers) because I'm 34" from wrist and 27" from finger tip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheLyth said:

Viper, don't fall into the trap that many golfers do. It's not your height, but the distance from your wrist/tips of fingers that set the length of shaft you need. Being 6ft 3" or 5ft 3", these lengths may be the same for both people. I'm 5ft 10" and use 1/4" longer clubs (fitted by Ben Sayers) because I'm 34" from wrist and 27" from finger tip.

Actually, no, I haven't fallen into the "trap". I am fully aware of the correct fitting system.

However, I would be very surprised if someone who is 6' 3", as is the originator of this thread, and who is 5 inches taller than you, would not be getting longer than standard shafts; he said he has standard shafts.  Note also that even you, at 5' 10", which is the upper limit of some standard lengths, have a small extension of 1/4", because you got yourself correctly fitted; if you had purchased standard shaft lengths before you got yourself fitted that were 1/4" too short, you would be stuck because you can't lengthen shafts, only cut.  You made my point. 

Furthermore, 6' 3" and 5' 3", 12 inches, is a very bad example.  Unless one of these has limbs grossly out-of-proportion, it is highly unlikely that this difference in height would result in the same shaft length. 

For the general population following the Normal "bell" distribution curve, someone 6' 3" will need longer shafts than standard, and a height difference of 12 inches will not result in the same shaft length.  Any exceptions will be very, very rare.

When/if the originator of this post gets custom fitted and if he discovers the shafts are too short he'll be stuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you knew me, you would know that I use very big comparisons to get my point across.

If I played with standard length shafts it wouldn't effect me because I would adapt to the new lengths.

Just another point too. You can lengthen a steel shaft by up to 1/2inch safely. I have done this on many occasions by using either old Hickory shafts or broken steel shafts. I have even put an inch on some clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TheLyth said:

If you knew me, you would know that I use very big comparisons to get my point across.

If I played with standard length shafts it wouldn't effect me because I would adapt to the new lengths.

Just another point too. You can lengthen a steel shaft by up to 1/2inch safely. I have done this on many occasions by using either old Hickory shafts or broken steel shafts. I have even put an inch on some clubs.

All you state might be true, however (I sound like a Judge!), however,  the topic originator was asking a specific question. So it's the detail that maters here.

It is far better that a golfer gets the correct length to start with. A full correct fitting service is one where you start with no clubs and get the correct set, which is then fine-tune adjusted for you; it isn't a full correct fitting service to just buy standard clubs and then try to fit them, as there are so many variables.

Point?

PJ needs to see what adjustments are necessary, and then decide if he should spend the money on that or a new/second hand longer/shorter set before then finishing the fitting.

Edited by Viper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Viper said:

All you state might be true, however (I sound like a Judge!), however,  the topic originator was asking a specific question. So it's the detail that maters here.

It is far better that a golfer gets the correct length to start with. A full correct fitting service is one where you start with no clubs and get the correct set, which is then fine-tune adjusted for you; it isn't a full correct fitting service to just buy standard clubs and then try to fit them, as there are so many variables.

Point?

PJ needs to see what adjustments are necessary, and then decide if he should spend the money on that or a new/second hand longer/shorter set before then finishing the fitting.

The problem I have with suggesting a full custom fit to PJ is that we don't know what level he is at. It is pointless (to me) to go buy a new set of clubs fully custom fit unless you are a single figure Hcp because you may change things every few months until you reach that level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/08/2016 at 14:50, TheLyth said:

The problem I have with suggesting a full custom fit to PJ is that we don't know what level he is at. It is pointless (to me) to go buy a new set of clubs fully custom fit unless you are a single figure Hcp because you may change things every few months until you reach that level.

Well, the originator gave us some background:

  • He's got ping g25's;
  • He's been playing golf for 10 years;
  • Someone offered to custom fit them.

Further, the last thing I put was to just suggest he gets fully fitted and then decide what to do next, including second hand; I didn't solely say he should get a new set.  After all, the first part of being fitted is taking the measurements which can then tell you how far away from the correct club settings you are with your current set. A good fitter can inspect PJ's current clubs, and, yes I am sure you could lengthen then for him. But improvising a length increase might change the shaft performance; I said might....
Although fully fitted clubs cannot make a poor golfer better, unfitted clubs can hold back a good and/or progressing player.   

Also, would someone's shaft length change as they got better at golf?  Never heard that before.  Have heard of people getting stiffer shafts as they got better, not a length thing, and heard of older golfers, me for example, getting weaker shafts as I got older, especially the driver.
Loft and lie can be adjusted over time, but why would length change?

The only other reasons to make big changes is if a player is really talented, and over years goes from full cavity back, then partial cavity, and finally to blades, but that's not every few months.  So the whole lot changes, but, does that also include shaft length?

One final point: angular velocity at the head.  If PJ needs longer shafts, and all else being equal, with a longer shaft the angular velocity is higher at the head; and we all know what effect higher head speed(velocity) can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought that Ping clubs were one of the makes that couldn't be tweaked. I also know that if you change the length of the shaft, you will also need to change the lie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just looked up the Ping refitting on a few websites and the Ping website and it would appear that most Ping irons can be re-fitted, maybe even Free-Of-Charge: 
http://www.ping.com/about/clubrepair.aspx
PING EUROPE REPAIR DEPARTMENT
PING Europe Limited
Corringham Road
Gainsborough, Lincolnshire
England DN 21 1XZ
phone: 1427-615405 ???  missing 0

Lie angle: I agree.

But if PJ at least gets the measurements done, he will know how close to "correct" or how "bad" his current set up is.  Just imagine how bad things are if he needs 1/2 inch longer or more.....  
PJ doesn't have to stick with Ping, and the 2nd hand market is flooded with all makes.

However, to answer PJ's original question, if the length is within 1/4 inch I would say yes, but, if PJ needs much longer shafts no (i.e. change clubs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A marketing ploy from golf equipment makers, unnecessary and expensive. Over 30 years I've played the game and my handicap has fluctuated between 3 and 6 due to time spent playing or practicing. Find the clubs that feel right and get out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a marketing ploy at all! It costs manufacturers a fortune to create all the fitting tools and then stock all the available options. It makes their businesses far more complex. Forecasting is far more difficult for them, let alone staff training and the effort that goes into making sure the retailers are up to speed. Yes, the cost is no doubt passed on to the consumer, but it would be far easy to offer off the shelf options. In the end they do it because it works and it is the right thing to do for consumers. 

I cannot count the amount of times I have tried a driver that I thought 'felt right' only to be proven incorrect by a launch monitor or in other words 'science'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now